FileYourTaxes.com works with ID.me to secure the tax filing process. When submitting your tax return to e-file with the IRS using FileYourTaxes.com, you now have the option to sign in and verify your identity with ID.me.
Identity verification with ID.me is currently not required when filing your taxes with FileYourTaxes.com, but highly encouraged. As a shared service, ID.me is also used by the IRS for identity verification, so verifying with ID.me now will also provide you with access to your tax information at IRS applications like IRS Online Account.
About FileYourTaxes and ID.me
FileYourTaxes.com started filing taxes online 25 years ago and is one of the original online tax filing software companies. Their goal is to make the tax filing process easy and get you the best possible outcome for your tax return.
ID.me is safe, secure, and privacy-enhancing. Our next-generation identity platform puts users in control of their data and meets the highest federal standards for online identity proofing and authentication.
ID.me and FileYourTaxes.com are leaders in their industries, and this innovative partnership is designed to benefit taxpayers who elect to participate. This article explains how to verify using ID.me when filing your taxes with FileYourTaxes.com.
What you’ll need to verify
To verify your identity, you’ll need:
- A smartphone that has a camera or a computer with a webcam
- Email address
- Government-issued photo ID (driver's license, state ID, passport, or passport card)
- Social Security Number
1. Sign in or create your ID.me account
To verify your identity for FileYourTaxes.com using self-service:
- Go to FileYourTaxes.com, sign in to your account and enter your tax information.
- Before submitting your tax return, select Verify with ID.me.
- Sign in or create an ID.me account.
- Confirm your email address. For more information, visit Confirming your email address.
- Set up multi-factor authentication (MFA) to further protect your account. For step-by-step instructions for setting up MFA, select one of the following MFA methods:
2. Verify your identity
After you’re signed in to your ID.me account, verify your identity:
- Select the government-issued photo ID you want to upload. Learn how to take photos of your documents. If you choose to take a photo with your mobile phone, enter your phone number. ID.me sends you a text message with a link to your mobile phone to take photos of your identity document. Select the link and follow the instructions.
- After submitting photos of your document, take a video selfie.
- Follow the prompts to enter your information, including your Social Security Number.
- Review and confirm all your information is accurate, then select Yes.
- Select Allow and continue to finish your identity verification process. This securely shares your identity information with FileYourTaxes.com.
- Return to FileYourTaxes.com and continue filing your tax return.
Verify on a video call
If you’re not able to verify your identity using self-service, you may be directed to meet with an ID.me Video Chat Agent on a video call.
Video Chat Agents are trained identity specialists employed by ID.me to help verify your identity. When verifying your identity on a video call, you may be asked to upload photos of your identity documents and show the physical copies to an ID.me Video Chat Agent.
You may need to show either two primary documents or one primary document and two secondary documents and proof of a Social Security number. Wait times for a Video Chat Agent may vary, but you can schedule a video call appointment at a time that’s convenient for you.
After you’re verified
If you verified over a video call with a Video Chat Agent, you will want to sign back in with your ID.me account before submitting your return with FileYourTaxes.com.
Who to contact for support
Who you need to contact for help depends on if you completed the verification process or not.
ID.me can help if you have trouble with the identity verification process. Common issues include:
- Account sign-in issues
- Uploading identification documents or selfies
- Fixing documents that were rejected
The partner you verify for can best help with questions and next steps after you complete the verification process. For example, you may have questions about benefits or services you verified for. Before contacting the partner:
- Confirm your verification was successful
- Confirm you shared your information with the partner
- Review our best practices and sample messages of how to request help from ID.me partners