The Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) works with ID.me to provide authentication and identity verification. This article explains how to verify your identity for TTB.
About the verification process
ID.me’s next-generation identity platform meets the highest federal standards for online identity proofing and authentication. During the verification process, you will be asked to share your information.
Before you verify
To verify your identity, you’ll need to provide specific information and up-to-date documents. We recommend gathering any necessary documents before you begin the verification process. To verify, you’ll need:
- A mobile phone that has a camera or a computer with a webcam
- Email address
- Government-issued photo ID (driver's license, passport, passport card, or state ID)
- U.S. phone number
- Current U.S. address
- Social Security Number
How to verify
Follow the steps below to verify your identity.
1. Start with TTB
To begin, visit my.ttb.gov, go to the application or service you need, then select Sign in with ID.me.
2. Sign in or create an ID.me account
If you have an ID.me account, sign in using your email address and password. You may already have an ID.me account if you created one for another ID.me partner or for an ID.me community, such as a nurse or military.
If you don’t have an ID.me account, create one to continue. To create a new ID.me account:
- Enter your personal email address and password, then select Create account.
- Confirm your email address. For more information, visit Confirming your email address.
- Set up multi-factor authentication (MFA) to further protect your account. For more information, visit Getting started with MFA.
3. Verify your identity
You can start with self-service or verify your identity on a video call. For video calls, you will need to upload a government-issued photo ID or primary and secondary identity documents. Select the tab below for steps for each option:
To verify your identity using self-service:
- Choose how to verify your identity. You can upload a photo of your driver's license, state ID, passport, or passport card.
- Take and submit a video selfie. If you’re taking a selfie using your smartphone and don’t have a US phone number, select I don’t have a US phone number.
- Enter all other requested information, including your Social Security Number. If you don’t have a Social Security number, select I don’t have a Social Security number.
- Review and confirm to make sure all your information is accurate, then select Yes at the bottom of the screen. If you don’t have a US address, select I don’t have a US address.
- Select Allow and continue to finish your identity verification process.
After ID.me verifies your identity, you will receive a confirmation text message as a way to protect you from fraud.
Enter your information
- Select Video Chat Agent, then select Continue.
- Select Get Started, accept ID.me's consent to collect personally identifiable information, then select Continue.
Follow the prompts to upload your US driver’s license or state photo ID, or select Change Document to upload a passport or passport card. Learn how to take photos of your documents.Note: If you’re not able to verify using the documents above, you will need to verify on a video call using primary and secondary documents.
Enter your remaining information, including your Social Security number, then select Continue. Learn why ID.me asks for your Social Security number.
Connect with a Video Chat Agent
During the call with your Video Chat Agent, the agent will compare you to your uploaded identity document. To connect to a live call:
- After your information is confirmed, you will be prompted to join a video call. Select Join video call to proceed.
- Wait for the next Video Chat Agent to be available.
- Consent to having your call recorded, then select Join video call when prompted. You may request that ID.me delete your Biometric Data at any time.
- Stay on the call as the Video Chat Agent compares you to your identity document photo. This should only take a moment.
After you verify
After you verify your ID.me account, you can sign in to your myTTB account by selecting Sign in with ID.me.
Manage your ID.me account
After creating your ID.me account, you can also manage your account settings.
- Change or add email addresses to your account.
- Reset your password.
- If you can’t access your ID.me account email address, need to reset your password, or see an error message, visit I can't sign in to my account.
- Learn more about Getting started with multi-factor authentication.
- If you’re having trouble, visit Troubleshooting multi-factor authentication.