The Kentucky Office of Unemployment Insurance (OUI) works with ID.me to verify Kentucky residents requesting benefits and services online.
ID.me provides secure digital identity verification to government agencies and other partners to make sure you are you—and not someone pretending to be you.
This article explains how to verify your identity for Kentucky OUI.
Before you verify
You’ll need specific information and documents to verify your identity when using self-service, on a video call with an ID.me Video Chat Agent, or in person. We recommend gathering any necessary documents before you begin the verification process.
1. Begin verification
Verification begins with the Kentucky OUI. To get started:
- Go to the Kentucky OUI Claimant Portal.
- Select Sign in with ID.me.
- Enter the email address associated with your Kentucky OUI account. If this is your first time accessing the claimant portal, enter your email address that you have access to.
- Select Log in. You’ll be redirected to the ID.me sign-in page where you can sign in or create an account, then verify your identity.
2. Sign in to ID.me
If you have an ID.me account, sign in using your email address and password. To create a new ID.me account:
- Enter your email address and password, then select Create account.
- Confirm your email address. For more information, visit Confirming your email address
- Set up multi-factor authentication (MFA) to make your account even more secure.
Note: If you do not have a mobile device, select Backup Codes to generate 12 unique one-time-use codes.
3. Verify your identity
When you’re verifying your identity, you can choose self-service, video call with an ID.me Video Chat Agent, or in person at Kentucky Career Center locations. Select a tab below for verification steps for each method:
To verify your identity using self-service:
- Follow the prompts to upload your US driver’s license or state photo ID, or select Change Document to upload a passport or passport card. Learn how to take photos of your documents.
Take and submit a video selfie. Your selfie will only be used to confirm that the person in the selfie matches your government ID. You may request that ID.me delete your Biometric Data at any time.
- Enter your Social Security number.
- Review and confirm that all of your information is accurate, then select Yes. After ID.me verifies your identity you will receive a confirmation message as a way to protect you from fraud.
- Select Allow to finish your identity verification process.
To verify on a video call with a Video Chat Agent:
Select Video Chat Agent.
Select Get Started, accept ID.me's consent to collect personally identifiable information, then select Continue.
- Follow the prompts to upload your US Driver’s License or State Photo ID, or select Change Document to upload a Passport or Passport Card. Learn how to take photos of your documents.
- Enter your remaining information, including your Social Security number, then select Continue. Learn why ID.me asks for your Social Security number.
Connect with a Video Chat Agent
During the call with your Video Chat Agent, the agent will compare you to your uploaded identity document. To connect to a live call:
After your information is confirmed, you will be prompted to join a video call. Select Join video call to proceed.
Wait for the next Video Chat Agent to be available.
Consent to having your call recorded, then select Join video call when prompted. You may request that ID.me delete your Biometric Data at any time.
- Stay on the call as the Video Chat Agent compares you to your identity document photo. This should only take a moment.
After you’re signed in to your ID.me account, you can verify your identity in person at Kentucky Career Center locations. To verify your identity in person:
- Select In-Person Verification.
- Enter your information and select Continue.
- Enter your zip code or city name to find and choose a convenient location for your appointment, then select Continue.
- Select Walk-in. You can visit any time during the career center’s regular business hours.
- Select Book Appointment, then save your appointment confirmation.
Once confirmed, you will receive detailed information about your In-Person Verification appointment on your screen, as well as in your email. This information includes:
- Date and time of your appointment
- Address of the Kentucky Career Center you selected
- Reminder to bring two forms of identity documents
- Registration Code, both in the form of a QR code and 25-character registration code
- Instructions for your appointment
We recommend that you print and write down all of your appointment information on a piece of paper. Bring your appointment information and two forms of identity documents with you to your appointment. Keep in mind, Registration Codes expire 30 days from the day you book your appointment.
4. Share your information
If verified using self-service, consent to share your information with Kentucky OUI to complete the verification process.
Verified on a video call
If you verified your identity on a video chat call with an ID.me Trusted Referee, there is one last step you must complete to share your information with the Kentucky Office of Unemployment Insurance:
- Return to the Kentucky Office of Unemployment Insurance portal.
- Select Sign in with ID.me and enter your ID.me email and password.
- Select Allow to complete the identity verification process and continue with your application.
After you verify your ID.me account with, you can log in to your Kentucky OUI account by selecting Sign in with ID.me.