Firemen’s Annuity & Benefit Fund of Chicago (FABF) works with ID.me to help you verify your identity and sign documents with Adobe. The Fund offers a defined annuity plan with health, welfare, retirement, and other benefits for its members—who include retirees, disabled, and active firefighters of Chicago, Illinois. This article explains how to verify your identity and submit a digital request via Adobe eSignature for FABF.
About the verification process
ID.me’s next-generation identity platform meets the highest federal standards for online identity proofing and authentication. During the verification process, you will be asked to share your information.
In addition, ID.me has built rigorous security and privacy requirements into our technology. Learn more about ID.me’s Privacy Bill of Rights and how your information is protected.
Before you verify
To verify your identity, you’ll need to provide specific information and up-to-date documents. We recommend gathering any necessary documents before you begin the verification process. To verify, you’ll need:
- A mobile phone that has a camera or a computer with a webcam
- Email address
- Government-issued photo ID (driver's license, passport, passport card, or state ID)
- U.S. phone number
- Current U.S. address
- Social Security Number
How to verify
To verify your identity, you’ll need to submit your FABF form, sign using Adobe, then verify your identity using ID.me.
1. Submit your FABF form
You must start the verification process with the Firemen’s Annuity & Benefit Fund of Chicago. To get started:
- Find your form on the FABF’s website .
- Select how you would like to complete your form. If you choose to submit the form electronically, you will be required to give your email address to start the digital process.
You will be notified that your request has been submitted and will receive an email with instructions to complete the form.
2. Open Adobe Acrobat Sign
After submitting your FABF form, you'll receive an email.
- Open the email you received from FABF with instructions to complete the form.
- Select Review and sign.
- Select Verify Identity to begin the verification process.
3. Sign in to ID.me
If you have an ID.me account, sign in using your email address and password. You may already have an ID.me account if you created one for another ID.me partner or for an ID.me community, such as a nurse or military .
Note: Do not create more than one ID.me account. For more information, visit Can I have more than one ID.me account?
If you don’t have an ID.me account, create one to continue. To create a new ID.me account:
- Enter your personal email address and password, then select Create account.
- Confirm your email address. For more information, visit Confirming your email address .
- Set up multi-factor authentication (MFA) to further protect your account. For more information, visit Getting started with MFA .
Tip: If you’re setting up MFA for the first time, make sure to save or download your recovery code to ensure you always have access to your ID.me account.
4. Verify your identity
You can use the self-service verification method to verify your identity for FABF. To verify your identity using self-service:
- Upload photos of your document . Acceptable documents include driver’s license, state ID, passport, passport card. You may need to upload the front and back of your documents.
- Take and submit a selfie.
- Enter your Social Security Number if you are creating a new account.
Verifying on a video call
If you can’t complete the verification process due to an issue with your documents, you will be routed to verify your identity on a video call. Video Chat Agents are trained identity specialists employed by ID.me to help verify your identity. When verifying your identity on a video call, you may be asked to upload photos of your identity documents and show the physical copies to an ID.me Video Chat Agent.
You may need to show either two primary documents or one primary document and two secondary documents and proof of a Social Security Number. Your wait time for a Video Chat Agent may vary, but you can schedule a video call appointment at a time that’s convenient for you.
5. Complete the FABF Form
After your identity has been verified, you can submit a digital request via Adobe eSignature for FABF.