If you believe you are a victim of identity theft, please use the following:
Steps to report identity theft:
Go to help.id.me.
Select Contact Us in the top right corner.
In the dropdown menu, select I Need Help Updating My Account.
Another dropdown menu will appear, select Report Identity Theft (it's the last option in the dropdown menu).
Fill out all relevant information regarding identity theft and our team will investigate your case.
You can help further protect your information by taking the following precautions:
- Use long and strong passwords. Protect your account with a robust password that has a combination of upper & lower case letters, numerals, even special characters. If you have trouble keeping track of all your passwords, consider using a "password locker" or other software to manage them.
- Use multi-factor authentication (MFA). MFA combines things you know (like a password) with things you have (like a smartphone). It's another layer of protection for your account.
- Be careful when sharing devices. If you and other members of your household access the internet on the same device (like a laptop), there can be opportunities for confusion: for example, if you and your spouse have both used the same browser to remember passwords for similar accounts.
- Don't "overshare" on social media. Not everyone online is who they say they are! Never share personally identifiable information (PII)—like your date of birth, Social Security number, or credit card information—in a public place, like Facebook or Twitter. Social engineers are watching.
- Click only on trusted links. Be cautious when clicking links. Always consider the source!