ID.me works with the Department of Energy (DOE) to verify users for multiple applications and online services. ID.me provides secure digital identity verification to government agencies and healthcare providers to make sure you are you—and not someone pretending to be you. This article explains how to verify your identity for DOE.
About the verification process
The ID.me next-generation identity platform meets the highest federal standards for online identity proofing and authentication. During the verification process, you will be asked to share your information.
How to verify
1. Visit DOE
Verification begins with the Department of Energy. Start at the site for the DOE application you are trying to access and select Sign in with ID.me (through OneID) when prompted.
2. Sign in to ID.me
If you have an ID.me account, sign in using your email address and password.
To create a new ID.me account, select Create an ID.me account, then set up your account:
- Enter your email address and password, then select Create account.
- Confirm your email address. For more information, visit Confirming your email address.
- Set up multi-factor authentication (MFA) to make your account even more secure.
3. Verify your identity
Verify your identity using Self-Service or on a short video call. Select the tab below for an overview of each verification method:
To verify your identity using Self-Service:
- Select Self-Service.
- Follow the prompts to upload your US driver’s license or state photo ID, or select Change Document to upload a passport or passport card. Learn how to take photos of your documents.
- Take and submit a video selfie. Your selfie will only be used to confirm that the person in the selfie matches your government ID. You may request that ID.me delete your Biometric Data at any time.
- Enter your Social Security number.
- Review and confirm that all of your information is accurate, then select Yes. After ID.me verifies your identity you will receive a confirmation message as a way to protect you from fraud.
- Select Allow to finish your identity verification process.
To verify on a video call:
- Select Video Chat Agent.
- Select Get Started, accept ID.me's consent to collect personally identifiable information, then select Continue.
- Follow the prompts to upload your US driver’s license or state photo ID, or select Change document to upload a passport or passport card. Learn how to take photos of your documents.
- Enter your remaining information, including your Social Security number, then select Continue. Learn why ID.me asks for your Social Security number.
Connect with a Video Chat Agent
During the call with your Video Chat Agent, the agent will compare you to your uploaded identity document. To connect to a video call:
- After your information is confirmed, you will be prompted to join a video call. Select Join video call to proceed.
- Wait for the next Video Chat Agent to be available.
- Consent to having your call recorded, select Continue, then select Join video call when prompted. You may request that ID.me delete your Biometric Data at any time.
- Stay on the call as the Video Chat Agent compares you to your identity document photo. This should only take a moment.
To complete the verification process, remember to consent to share your information with DOE. How you do this depends on the verification method you use:
- Self-Service: After you confirm your information, select Allow to securely share your information with DOE.
- Video Chat Agent: Follow the steps in the email you receive after the video call to make sure you share your information with DOE.
Who to contact for support
Who you need to contact for help depends on if you completed the verification process or not.
ID.me can help if you have trouble with the identity verification process. Common issues include:
- Account sign-in issues
- Uploading identification documents or selfies
- Fixing documents that were rejected
They can best help with questions and next steps after you complete the verification process. For example, you may have questions about benefits or services you verified for. Before contacting them:
- Confirm your verification was successful
- Confirm you shared your information with the partner
- Review our best practices and sample messages of how to request help from ID.me partners