When you create your ID.me account, you enter an email address and password that you’ll use to sign in to your account. You can change or reset your password at any time. This article explains how to change or reset your password.
If your account is locked, suspended, or you can’t access the email for your ID.me account, visit I can't sign in to my account.
If you're signed in to your account
To change your password while signed in to your account:
- Sign in and go to Sign in & Security.
- Select Password.
- Enter your current password.
- Enter your new password, and confirm it.
- Select Save.
If your password isn’t working
If your password isn’t working, request a password reset, complete multi-factor authentication if you set up MFA, then enter a new password.
1. Request your password reset
To request a password reset:
- Go to the ID.me sign in page.
- Select Forgot password.
- Enter your ID.me account email address, then select Continue.
- Go to your email inbox. You’ll receive an email reset password with the subject line: ID.me - Your password reset link. It can take up to 10 minutes to receive the password reset email. If you don’t see the email, check your spam folder.
- In the email, select Reset your password. In the new window, select Continue.
2. Complete multi-factor authentication
Complete multi-factor authentication (MFA) if it’s set up for your account. Otherwise, you’ll be prompted to enter your new password.
Select the MFA method you’d like to use, if prompted. If you only have one MFA method set up, you’ll be automatically prompted to complete MFA.
3. Enter your new password
After you complete MFA, enter your new password, then select Continue.
Passwords are case-sensitive. Your password must have:
- Eight characters minimum
- One lowercase letter
- One uppercase letter
- One number
A message confirms your password reset was successful.
Below are common scenarios you may encounter when requesting a password reset.
The password reset link or code isn’t working
Make sure you are using the most recent password reset email.
Other sign-in issues
For a list of other common sign-in issues, visit I can’t sign in to my account.
When to contact support