You will need to update your 2FA phone number if our system recognizes a change in the ownership for your phone; this can happen if you recently deactivated your phone, upgraded your phone, or changed phone providers.
ID.me has a self-service process that will allow you to update your phone number online using the instructions below.
- Go to the partner website and select "Sign In".
- Select one of the following options to sign into your ID.me account.
- After you sign into your account you will be prompted to receive your six digit code via text or phone.
- On this page you will see the following note at the bottom of the pop-up window: "If you’ve changed phone numbers or carriers from when you previously set up 2-factor authentication, please update your settings here."
- Select "Update Your Settings Here" to begin the process
- You will be notified to confirm your email. (IMPORTANT: Please check your email in an additional window or tab. DO NOT close the email confirmation window as you will need to return to that page in order to complete the update.)
- You will then complete a soft identity verification to confirm you are the account holder. Note: If your identity cannot be verified you will receive a "Something went wrong" error message and the option to "Retry" the verification.
- Once that is completed you will receive a "Your identity has been verified" confirmation; you will select "Continue" to proceed to update your 2-factor Authentication method.
- Choose one of the five 2-factor authentication methods.
- Complete your 2-factor authentication setup.
- Once the set-up is completed you will receive a "Your account is now secure" to confirm the update has been completed.