You can set up one or more multi-factor authentication (MFA) options on your ID.me account for extra layers of security. When more than one MFA method is added to your ID.me account, you can select the one you want to use each time you sign in.
To add MFA options to your account:
- Sign into your ID.me My Account page.
- Click the Sign in and Security tab.
- In the Securing your account section below, you will see all available MFA options, including one(s) you have already set up. Just click Set Up to add one.
If you are setting up your first MFA option, you’ll be asked to verify your email address. When set-up is complete, you will receive an email confirming that set-up was successful. Then, the next time you sign in, you can select any of your MFA options that are accepted at the website or application at which you are signing in.
In the example below, the user has set up two different MFA options: Text Message or Phone Call and Code Generator. At sign-in, the user can select either option, provided that both of those methods are accepted at the partner website.
For more information on each MFA method, visit these articles:
- Text Message or Phone Call (not available for Medical Providers prescribing controlled substances)
- Push Notification (ID.me Authenticator)
- Code Generator
- FIDO U2F Security Key