YubiKey(TM) 5 NFC from Yubico, is a hardware key which uses Near Field Communications (NFC) technology to wirelessly communicate with supported iOS and Android mobile devices. This method of multi-factor authentication (MFA) is particularly useful on mobile devices.
When you select NFC-Enabled Security Key for MFA, you will download and install the ID.me Authenticator app, then associate your YubiKey(TM) hardware with your ID.me account, then use your YubiKey(TM) for secure sign-in.
To set up NFC-Enabled Security Key as an MFA method:
2. Now your screen will look like the one below.
3. Follow the prompts to download or activate the ID.me Authenticator App.
- If you have previously installed the app, verify your phone number and Continue.
- If you haven't installed the app, follow the prompts to install it. You can choose to receive a download link, either from a Text message link, or an Email. Visit the app store appropriate to your device and complete the download. (An Email example is below.)
4. Once the ID.me Authenticator application is downloaded (or activated), you will be prompted to touch your YubiKey(TM) to your mobile device. (NOTE: The exact location where you touch the key may vary from device to device.)
5. When you see the checkmark below, your YubiKey(TM) device has been successfully associated with your ID.me account, and set-up is complete.
After set-up, to sign in to your account using NFC-Enabled Security Key for MFA:
1. Sign in to your ID.me account.
2. When prompted to choose your MFA method, select NFC-Enabled Security Key. Your screen will look like this.
3. You will receive a push notification like the one below.
4. Touch your YubiKey(TM) to your mobile device.
5. A checkmark shows that sign-in was successful.
NOTE: YubiKey(TM) may not be supported on older devices. If you get an error like the one below, you may need to upgrade your mobile device.