You will need to update your multi-factor authentication(MFA) method if our system recognizes a change in the ownership for your phone; this can happen if you recently deactivated your phone, upgraded your phone, or changed phone providers.
ID.me has a self-service process that will allow you to update your MFA method online using the instructions below.
1. Go to the California DMV website and select "Sign In".
2. Select one of the following options to sign into your ID.me account.
3. After you sign into your account you will be prompted to receive your six digit code via text or phone.
4. On this page you will see the following note at the bottom of the pop-up window: "If you’ve changed phone numbers or carriers from when you previously set up multi-factor authentication, please update your settings here."
5. Select "update your settings here" and proceed to the next screen.
6. You can securely update your current MFA settings or enroll in a new method in 3 easy steps. Select continue to complete the 3 steps below:
- Confirm your email address
- Confirm personal information
- Update MFA settings
7. After selecting continue on the previous page you will automatically be sent and email to confirm your email address. In a different window or new tab in your browser, check your email inbox and spam folders for an email from email@example.com with the subject "ID.me - Confirm your email to update multi-factor settings" Open the email and click on the "Confirm your email" button to confirm your email address OR copy and paste the 6-digit code provided in the email to confirm your email address. Once that is completed return to the ID.me window to continue to the next step.
8. Next you will verify your identity information. Once that information is verified and you have received confirmation that your identity has been verified. Select "Continue" to proceed to the next screen.
9. Next you will secure your account by entering a new phone number, updating the settings for the phone number currently in your ID.me account, or by choosing a new MFA method. Select your method, enter the required information, and then select "Continue" to complete your update.