You can verify your identity for social security using your driver's license or other state ID by either taking a photo of your document, or uploading a photo from your computer.
1. Enter your mobile phone number, then click Continue.
2. You will receive a text message on your phone like the one below. (If you don't receive this text message within 5 minutes, look for and click the Send it again link.) Tap the link to proceed.
3. Follow the prompts to take a photo of both the front and back of your driver's license or state ID. Make sure you took a good photo, then tap Continue. Your uploaded photos will be reviewed. Return to your computer to see if your uploaded photos were accepted.
4. [You may be prompted to take and submit a selfie. Follow the prompts to take a head-and-shoulders photo, in "portrait" orientation, with your face taking up as much of the frame as possible.]
When all required images have been submitted, your screen will look like the one below. Return to the browser tab where you began identity verification: if you started on your laptop, go back to your laptop; if you started on mobile, return to the older tab on your device.
5. [You may also be asked to verify ownership of your phone. Follow the prompts to receive a text or voice message, and enter any code provided.]
6. Confirm your Social Security number. (Why does ID.me ask for your Social Security number?)
7. Review the summary of personal information on the screen below. (You can click Edit to make updates or changes, but you may be prompted to join a video call with a Trusted Referee.) Click the checkbox for the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), then click Yes.
If your screen looks like the one below, your identity is verified. The screen also shows the information you are consenting to share with our partner.