When verifying for some partners, you may have the option to generate 12 one-time-use codes as a multi-factor authentication (MFA) method. This article explains how to set up backup codes for MFA.
Set up MFA Backup Codes
To set up your MFA backup codes:
- Select Backup Codes when prompted to set up MFA. You may have to scroll down if you can’t see it.
- View the list of your unique 12 backup codes. Each code is numbered to help keep track of which codes you already used.
- Select Print and hold on to the physical copy of your backup codes. For additional security, you can:
- Write down all of the backup codes on a piece of paper. Be sure to copy the full codes, as well as their numbered placement.
- Save these codes on your personal computer as a .pdf file.
- Send these codes to yourself via email to save them in your inbox.
Do not leave a file of these codes on a public computer and never share your codes with anyone.
- Return to the ID.me MFA set up screen. You will be asked to enter a specific backup code. Make sure you enter the correct code.
What happens if I use all my backup codes?
When you use your last code, you will get 12 new backup codes to print. These will follow the next set of numbers (e.g., 13-24, 25-36, etc). Your last code will remain valid until you confirm your new 12 backup codes.