You must book an in-person verification (IPV) appointment, including walk-ins, prior to visiting an Identity Network Location. After you book an appointment, you’ll receive your “Registration Code,” which includes a QR code and 25-character code. You will need this code when you verify your identity in person. This article explains how to book an appointment and get your Registration Code.
To be eligible to book an IPV appointment:
- You must be at least 18 years of age
- The agency you’re verifying for must offer in-person verification
States that offer IPV
The state workforce agencies that currently offer IPV include:
For all other state workforce agencies, you must verify for state benefits using self-service or on a video call.
Book an IPV appointment
After you book your IPV appointment online, save and use the generated Registration Code at your scheduled appointment.
1. Sign in or create your ID.me account
To get started:
- Go to your state workforce agency’s site using the URL in the email you received from your state.
- When prompted, select Verify with ID.me.
- Sign in to your ID.me account or create a new one. Confirm your email address by selecting the provided link sent to your inbox or entering the six-digit code.
- Complete multi-factor authentication (MFA). If you do not have a mobile device, select Backup Codes to generate 12 unique one-time-use codes.
- On the screen titled “How would you like to verify”, select In-person verification as your verification method.
- Enter your personal information, then select Continue.
2. Book your appointment
Next, choose the location, date, and time of your appointment. To book your appointment:
- Choose an Identity Network Location near you. Enter your zip code or city name to find and choose a convenient location for your appointment. Next, select Continue.
- Select a date and time for your appointment to view available times at the Identity Network Location or choose “Walk-in” to go in at any time during regular business hours. Select Book Appointment.
- After your appointment is confirmed, you will see a screen with detailed information about your IPV appointment. ID.me will also email you this information. Be sure to save your Registration Code and bring required identity documents to your appointment.
Save your Registration Code
On the confirmation screen after you book an appointment, and in the confirmation email, you will see details for your appointment, including:
- Date and time of your appointment
- Address of the Identity Network Location you selected
- Reminder to bring two forms of identity documents
- Registration Code, both in the form of a QR code and 25-character registration code
- Instructions for your appointment
You can save the QR code to your mobile device. Otherwise, you can print the Registration Code or write down your 25-character Registration Code on a piece of paper and bring it with you to your appointment.
Attend your IPV appointment
When your appointment date arrives, follow the steps to verify your identity in-person.
Can I do a walk-in appointment instead of scheduling one?
Yes. However, you must still book an appointment and choose the “Walk-in” option. If you have already scheduled an appointment but would like to switch to a walk-in instead, simply visit any Identity Network Location during regular business hours and bring your identity documents and Registration Code.
Can I reschedule my appointment?
Yes. You can reschedule your in-person verification appointment in case you missed it. To do so, return to the email with the link to reschedule your in-person appointment. By clicking the link and re-entering your information, you can make another appointment at an Identity Network Location.
You may also walk-in to any Identity Network Location. However, if you do not schedule an appointment, there may be an extended wait time.
Can I go to any Identity Network Location for my IPV appointment?
Yes. For both scheduled and walk-in appointments, you may visit any available Identity Network Location most convenient for you during regular business hours.
Will my Registration Code expire?
No. Your Registration Code is active until you use it at an Identity Network Location for your IPV appointment.
Can I use the 25-character Registration Code instead of the QR Code?
Yes. After you book your in-person verification appointment, make sure to write down the 25-character Registration Code correctly and bring it with you to your appointment. When you check in at the kiosk at the Identity Network Location, enter the code manually when it asks for your Registration Code.