The California Employment Development Department (EDD) works with ID.me to help verify your identity for State Disability Insurance (SDI). This article explains how you can verify for EDD with a video chat agent.
The verification process will take approximately 5-10 minutes, plus the wait time for the next available video chat agent.
Before you verify
To verify with a Video Chat Agent, you’ll need:
- A mobile phone that has a camera or a computer with a webcam
- Email address
- Social Security number
- Two primary or one primary and two secondary documents
1. Sign into California EDD
- Visit the California EDD site and select Benefits Login from the header.
- Sign in with an existing EDD account or select Register Now to create a “Benefits Program Online” account.
- Select SDI Online.
- Select Register as a Claimant.
- Select Verify with ID.me and sign in to your ID.me account. If you've never set up an account with ID.me, select Create account, then confirm your email address to begin.
Set up Multi-factor Authentication
If you are creating a new account, you will need to set up multi-factor authentication (MFA) to continue with your verification. For instructions on setting up MFA, select one of the following MFA methods:
After you have successfully set up MFA, continue to “2. Verify your identity with a Video Chat Agent”
2. Verify your identity with a Video Chat Agent
After you’re signed in to your ID.me account, you can verify your identity with a video selfie, or over a video call with a live agent. To verify your identity with a video agent:
- Select Video Chat Agent, then select Continue. Self-service is an automated process where you'll need your Government ID and a selfie.
- Select Get Started, accept ID.me's consent to collect personally identifiable information, then select Continue.
- Enter your information, then select Continue. Make sure the information you provide matches the information on your documents.
- Confirm your Social Security number, then select Continue. Learn why ID.me asks for your Social Security number.
- Select the primary document you’d like to use, then select Continue. You'll need to upload a photo of two primary documents or one primary and two secondary documents. Your document should:
- Show your full name and date of birth
- Be a photo or full-color scan
- Not be a photocopy
3. Connect with a Video Chat Agent
During the call with your Video Chat Agent, they’ll ask you to show your documents, so have them ready. To connect to a live call:
- You’ll receive an email from ID.me inviting you to join a video call with an ID.me Video Chat Agent. Select Check in now to join.
- Wait for the next Video Chat Agent to be available. Make sure to have the documents you uploaded on hand, as you will need to show the documents during the video call. Wait times vary, so here’s what to know if you have a long wait time.
- Confirm that you have your documents and that you consent to having your call recorded, then select Join video call.
- Show the Video Chat Agent your documents and answer a few questions to verify your identity.
- After you’re verified, go back to the California EDD SDI Online and select Register as a Claimant.
- Select the Verify with ID.me button and sign in with your new credentials to consent to sharing your information with EDD and access the application.