ID.me does not process or handle any documents pertaining to your tax records or filing status. As an IRS technology provider, ID.me only provides identity verification for IRS applications. This article explains how and when to contact the IRS for additional help when trying to get your tax records.
Request IRS tax transcripts
If you need your tax transcripts, you need to request them directly from the IRS. ID.me cannot provide tax transcript information.
To request your tax transcript from the IRS:
- Visit the IRS Get Your Tax Record page.
- Select Get transcript online.
- Select Sign in with ID.me or if you have an existing IRS account, log in with your IRS username and password.
- Follow the steps and enter the necessary information to request your tax transcript.
If you have questions about or trouble requesting tax transcripts, try the alternative options for requesting your tax transcript or contact the IRS.
Other tax documents and forms
If you need help with the following tax documents, records, or forms, you need to contact the IRS. ID.me cannot offer insight or advice about the following documents:
- W-2, W-9, 5040 and 8082 forms
- Employer Identification Number (EIN)
- Preparer tax identification number (PTIN)
- Economic Impact Payments (Stimulus checks)
- Transmitter Control Code (TCC)
- Adjusted Gross Income (AGI)
- 6419 letters (related to Child Tax Credits)
Verifying with the IRS
If you still need to verify with the IRS using ID.me, you can verify using self-service or during a video call. Keep in mind, the IRS also provides alternative options for accessing tax tools and services.