The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) works with ID.me, a technology provider, to provide authentication and identity verification for taxpayers and tax professionals accessing IRS applications.
Proving your identity involves uploading government documents, taking a video selfie, and filling out personal information. These identity verification services are crucial for the IRS to ensure millions of taxpayers and tax professionals can securely access IRS online services.
Sign in or create an ID.me account
For certain IRS applications, you may only need to create an ID.me account, then set up multi-factor authentication (MFA). To verify your identity, continue to Verify for the IRS.
To sign in or create a new ID.me account:
- Go to the IRS application you’d like to access.
- Select Create an ID.me account then enter your email address and password.
- If you have an ID.me account, select Sign in with ID.me, then sign in to your account and complete MFA.
- Confirm your email address. For more information, visit Confirming your email address.
- Set up multi-factor authentication (MFA) to further protect your account. For step-by-step instructions for setting up MFA, select one of the following MFA methods:
Verify for the IRS
As an IRS technology provider, ID.me is here to help verify your identity. You can verify using self-service, which is a guided process, or with a live agent during a video call.
How to verify
You can choose to verify your identity with:
- Recommended method to verify.
- It takes 5-10 minutes to complete.
- Your selfie and biometric information is automatically deleted within 24 hours of verification.
- It takes approximately 5-10 minutes to complete, plus the wait time for the next available Video Chat Agent. You can also schedule a video call appointment for a day and time that’s convenient for you.
- No biometric information will be collected in this option.
After verifying your identity with ID.me, you will need to sign in with your ID.me account to use IRS tools and services.
Manage your ID.me account
After creating your ID.me account, manage your account settings, including:
How ID.me protects your privacy
ID.me provides the strongest identity verification system available to prevent fraud and identity theft. Visit the articles below to learn how ID.me protects your privacy and puts you in control of your information.
Visit the articles below if you’re having trouble with the verification process or your ID.me account.
Who to contact for support
- The verification process
- Your ID.me account settings
- Deleting your ID.me account
- Other questions involving the use of ID.me
- Account balances
- Payments and payment plans - For example, if you want to know if you owe anything to the IRS.
- Questions about your tax records - Getting your tax transcripts from current or past years or checking on your tax refund
- How to get your IRS IP PIN
- If you were asked to verify your tax return information
- IRS letters or other notices
To contact the IRS:
- Visit the IRS tool or application login page.
- Find and select the “What if I can’t verify my identity?” section.
- Select the “Alternative options” link.
To contact the IRS, you can call the phone number on a notice or letter you received from the IRS. You can also visit the IRS website to learn more about online tools and resources, or receive telephone or local assistance.