You must book an in-person verification appointment, including walk-ins, prior to visiting an Identity Network Location. After you book an appointment, you’ll receive a Registration code that you will need when verifying your identity in-person. This article explains how to book an appointment and get your Registration code.
To be eligible to book an in-person appointment:
- You must be at least 18 years of age
- The agency you’re verifying for must offer in-person verification
Book an in-person appointment
After you book your appointment online, save and use the generated Registration code when you go to verify in-person.
1. Sign in or create your ID.me account
To get started:
- Go to the government agency’s site you are verifying for.
- When prompted, select Verify with ID.me.
- Sign in to your ID.me account or create a new one. Confirm your email address by selecting the provided link sent to your inbox or entering the six-digit code.
- Complete multi-factor authentication (MFA). If you do not have a mobile device, select Backup Codes to generate 12 unique one-time-use codes.
- Select In-person verification as your verification method.
- Enter your personal information, then select Continue.
2. Book your appointment
Next, choose the location, date, and time of your appointment. To book your appointment:
- Choose an Identity Network Location near you. Enter your zip code or city name to find and choose a convenient location for your appointment. Next, select Continue.
- Select a date and time for your appointment to view available times at the Identity Network Location or choose “Walk-in” to go in at any time during regular business hours.
- Review your information, then select Book Appointment. You may be asked to allow ID.me to review your Fair Credit Reporting Act data. This will not affect your credit score.
- After your appointment is confirmed, you will see a screen with detailed information about your appointment. ID.me will also email you this information. Be sure to save yoru Registration code and bring required identity documents to your appointment.
3. Save and use your Registration code
On the confirmation screen after you book an appointment, and in the confirmation email, you will see details for your appointment. The details for your appointment include:
- Date and time of your appointment, unless you chose the walk-in option.
- Address of the Identity Network Location you selected.
- Reminder to bring 2-3 two forms of identity documents.
- Registration code. Keep in mind, Registration codes expire after 30 days.
- Instructions for your appointment.
You can either print the code or write it down and bring it to your appointment.
Keep in mind:
- If you book an appointment more than one time, the most recent Registration code generated will be the only one that can be used to verify in person. Previous Registration codes will no longer be valid.
If your Registration code expires after 30 days, you will receive a renewal email. In the email, select Renew now to book a new appointment and receive an updated code. Below is an example of the email.
Verify your identity in person
Bring your documents to your scheduled appointment or walk in at a time that's convenient for you.
Can I do a walk-in appointment instead of scheduling one?
Yes. However, you must still start the process to schedule an in-person verification appointment online, and choose the “Walk-in” option. If you have already scheduled an appointment but would like to switch to a walk-in instead, simply visit any Identity Network Location during regular business hours and bring your identity documents and Registration code.
Can I reschedule my appointment?
Yes. You can reschedule your in-person verification appointment in case you missed it. To do so, return to the email with the link to reschedule your in-person appointment. By clicking the link and re-entering your information, you will be able make another appointment at an Identity Network Location.
You may also walk-in to any Identity Network Location. However, if you do not schedule an appointment, there may be an extended wait time.
Can I go to any Identity Network Location for my in-person appointment?
Yes. For both scheduled and walk-in appointments, you may visit any available Identity Network Location most convenient for you during regular business hours.
Will my Registration code expire?
Yes. Registration codes expire after 30 days.