Some county clerk offices in California and Texas work with ID.me and Tyler Tech to verify your identity so you can request vital records, like birth, death, and marriage certificates. This article explains how to verify your identity when requesting vital records.
1. Apply for vital records
To get started, visit your county clerk’s site. Find the application for the specific vital record you want to request, fill it out, then submit it to your county clerk. From there, go to Tyler Tech to begin the verification process.
2. Visit Tyler Tech
After your county clerk approves your application, you can get a copy of the record from Tyler Tech. To get started:
- Go to Tyler Tech.
- Register for an account.
- When prompted, select Verify with ID.me. You’ll be redirected to ID.me, where you will create or sign in to your ID.me account, then verify your identity.
3. Sign in or create an ID.me account
Sign in or create an ID.me account, then follow the steps to get verified. After you are verified, you will share your information with Tyler Tech. If you have an ID.me account, sign in using your email address and password.
Create an ID.me account
Create an ID.me account if you don’t already have one. To create a new ID.me account:
- Enter your personal email address and password, then select Create account.
- Confirm your email address. For more information, visit Confirming your email address.
- Set up multi-factor authentication (MFA) to further protect your account. For more information, visit Getting started with MFA.
4. Verify your identity
The steps to verify your identity depend on if you are requesting vital records from California or Texas county clerk offices. Select the tab for the state where you are requesting vital records.
After you sign in to your ID.me account, you must upload a government-issued photo ID, submit a selfie, then enter your Social Security number (if you created a new ID.me account).
For steps to verify, visit Verifying for state benefits and services.
After you sign in to your ID.me account, you can verify your identity by entering your phone number, or by uploading a government-issued photo ID. Find the steps below for the verification method you’d like to use.
To verify your identity with a phone number:
- Enter your phone number and date of birth.
- ID.me will text you a link from a 5-digit number.
- Select the link to verify your identity.
To verify your identity by uploading a document:
- Select the photo ID you’d like to submit: driver’s license, state-issued ID, passport, or passport card.
- Submit a photo of your photo ID using the camera on your smartphone, or upload an existing photo from your current device. For driver’s licenses, state-issued IDs, or passport cards—upload front and back photos.
When uploading documents:
- Confirm that the information on your ID is clearly legible in the photo and select Continue.
5. Share your information
After you’re verified, go back and sign in with your ID.me account to consent to sharing your information and access the application. This step securely shares your identity information..
- Review the details and make sure they are correct. If you see something that is incorrect, you can change it by selecting Edit.
- After confirming your information is correct, select Continue.
- Select Allow to share your information.
6. Download your vital record
Go back to Tyler Tech to complete your vital record request.