FIDO Security Key multi-factor authentication (MFA) strengthens your ID.me account security by requiring a USB key when you sign in to your ID.me account. With the FIDO Security Key method, you’ll need a specialized USB device. This article explains how to set up MFA using the FIDO Security Key method and how to sign in after you set it up.
For help with common MFA issues, visit Troubleshooting multi-factor authentication.
Before you start
- While not all ID.me partners require you to set up MFA for your ID.me account, we recommend using MFA to protect your account from scams and phishing attempts.
- To use this method, you’ll need to buy a FIDO Security Key from a third-party.
- Security Keys are currently supported by Google Chrome and Opera. We recommend using the latest version of any browser.
Set up FIDO Security Key for MFA
To set up the FIDO Security Key MFA method for the first time:
- Select FIDO Security Key when prompted to choose an MFA method.
- Follow the prompts to insert your security key into a USB port on your computer.
- Select the button on your security key to register it with your account.
Sign in using FIDO Security Key
After you set up your FIDO Security Key, we’ll prompt you to complete sign in using this method. To sign in:
- Sign in to your ID.me Account.
- Select FIDO Security Key for MFA.
- Insert the key into a USB port during the sign-in process and follow the prompts.