When you select Code Generator as a multi-factor authentication (MFA) method, you will use another app (like the ID.me Authenticator app, Google Authenticator, Duo Mobile, etc.) to generate a 6-digit code to complete the sign-in process.
To set up Code Generator for MFA:
1. When you are verifying your identity, you will be prompted to select an MFA method. Select Code Generator Application. (You can also select Code Generator on the Sign In & Security tab of your account.)
2. Your screen now looks like the one below. You may enroll with an activation link sent to you either via Text message or Email. Make your selection and follow the prompts to install the ID.me Authenticator app (if you haven't done so already), and click the activation link. (Or click the link at the bottom to Enroll with barcode / secret key.)
(NOTE: if you choose to receive the link via Email, open and click the link on the device where the ID.me Authenticator app will be used.)
3. When the ID.me Authenticator app is successfully downloaded and installed, it will generate a code like the one below every 30 seconds.
4. Enter the 6-digit code in the field provided to Confirm your device. (You may also Name your device.) Then click Continue to complete the set-up process.
To sign in to your account with the Code Generator MFA:
1. Sign in to your ID.me account.
2. During the sign-in process, select Code Generator Application for MFA.
3. When you are prompted to enter your 6-digit code, launch your code generating app and enter the code displayed. (NOTE: A new code is generated every 30 seconds. Enter your code before the timer reaches zero.)