Push notification multi-factor authentication (MFA) strengthens your ID.me account security by sending a notification through the ID.me Authenticator app to confirm your identity when you sign in to your ID.me account. This article explains how to set up MFA using push notifications and how to sign in after you set it up.
For help with common MFA issues, visit Troubleshooting multi-factor authentication.
Before you start
- To save time during setup, you can download the free ID.me Authenticator app beforehand by going to the App Store or Google Play Store.
- Learn about system requirements to use the ID.me Authenticator app.
- While not all ID.me partners require you to set up MFA for your ID.me account, we recommend using MFA to protect your account from scams and phishing attempts.
Set up push notification MFA
To set up the push notification MFA method for the first time:
- Select Push Notification when prompted to choose an MFA method.
- Choose to receive the ID.me Authenticator app download link by Text message or Email, enter your information, then select Continue.
Note: If you choose to receive the link via Email, open and select the link on the device where the ID.me Authenticator app will be used.
- In the text message or email we send you, select the link. Follow the prompts to download or activate the ID.me Authenticator app.
- If you have previously installed the app, verify your phone number and continue.
- If you haven't installed the app, follow the prompts to install it.
Add push notification MFA
If you previously set up a different MFA method, you can add push notification MFA as a secondary method. This won’t replace the first MFA method you set up. To add push notification MFA:
- Sign in to your ID.me account, using your existing MFA method.
- In your account dashboard, select Sign in & Security.
- Go to Push Notification and select Set up.
- When prompted, complete your sign in using your current MFA method.
- Select Text me or Call me to choose how you’d like to receive the download link for the ID.me Authenticator app. Enter your phone number or email, then select Continue.
- Select the link in the text message or email you receive.
- After the app is downloaded, when prompted, select Yes to register your device.
In your ID.me account, you’ll see push notification was added as an MFA method.
Sign in with push notification
After you set up your push notification, we’ll prompt you to complete sign in using this method. During the sign in process, you will receive a push notification from the ID.me Authenticator app on your smartphone To sign in:
- Sign in to your ID.me account.
- Select Push Notification for MFA.
- Select the notification on your smartphone to open the ID.me Authenticator app.
- Select Yes to approve your sign in.
Update your phone number for MFA
When you change your phone number, smartphone, or phone carrier, you’ll need to update the phone number connected to your ID.me account. To learn how to do this, visit Updating your phone number for MFA.