NFC-enabled security key multi-factor authentication (MFA) strengthens your ID.me account security by requiring a specialized YubiKey(TM) when you sign in to your ID.me account.
To use this method, you’ll need a YubiKey(TM) 5 NFC from Yubico, a hardware key that uses Near Field Communications (NFC) technology to wirelessly communicate with supported iOS and Android mobile devices. This article explains how to set up MFA using a YubiKey(TM) and how to sign in after you set it up.
For help with common MFA issues, visit Troubleshooting multi-factor authentication.
Before you start
- This method of multi-factor authentication (MFA) is particularly useful with mobile devices.
- You will need to connect your YubiKey(TM) hardware with your ID.me Account.
- You can download the free ID.me Authenticator app during MFA setup or beforehand by going to the App Store or Google Play Store.
Set up NFC-Enabled Security Key MFA
To set up an NFC-Enabled Security Key MFA method for the first time:
- Select NFC-Enabled Security Key when prompted to choose an MFA method.
- Select Text message or Email and enter your phone number or email address where you’ll receive an activation link so you can download the ID.me Authenticator app.
- Select Continue. Open the text message or email you receive and select the link.
- Follow the prompts to download or activate the ID.me Authenticator app.
- If you have previously installed the app, verify your phone number and continue.
- If you haven't installed the app, follow the prompts to install it.
- Open the ID.me Authenticator app from your smartphone and wait for “Ready to Scan” to display.
- Touch your YubiKey(TM) to your mobile device. The exact location where you touch the key may vary from device to device.
When the check mark displays, your YubiKey(TM) device has been successfully associated with your ID.me account, and the setup is complete.
Add NFC-enabled security key MFA
If you previously set up a different MFA method, you can add NFC-enabled security key MFA as a secondary MFA method. This won’t replace the first MFA method you set up. To add NFC-enable security key MFA:
- Sign in to your ID.me account, using your existing MFA method.
- In your account dashboard, select Sign in & Security.
- Go to “Push Notification” and select Set up.
- When prompted, complete your sign in using your current MFA method.
- Select Text me or Call me to choose how you’d like to receive the download link for the ID.me Authenticator app. Enter your phone number or email, then select Continue.
- Select the link in the text message or email you receive.
- When the “Ready to scan” pop-up displays on your device, touch your YubiKey(TM) to your mobile device.
In your ID.me account, you’ll see the NFC-enabled security key MFA method was added.
Sign in with NFC-Enabled Security Key
After you set up your NFC-enabled security key, we’ll prompt you to complete sign in using this method. During the sign in process, you will need to touch the key to your mobile device. To sign in:
- Sign in to your ID.me account.
- Select NFC-Enabled Mobile Security Key when prompted to choose your MFA method.
- Select the notification on your mobile device to open the ID.me Authenticator app.
- Wait for the ID.me Authenticator app to display “Ready to Scan,” then touch your YubiKey(TM) to your smartphone.
A checkmark shows that your sign-in was successful.