Sometimes the selfies you submit during the verification process aren’t always accepted. Read below about some common issues with taking a selfie and techniques to fix them.
When you’re taking a selfie, follow these tips to help ensure your selfie gets approved:
Position the camera
- Keep the camera directly in front of your face–too high or too low won’t capture your face.
- If you’re using a smartphone, ensure it’s within a foot of your face.
- Avoid clothing, like hats, scarves, masks, or anything else that can hide your face.
Check the background
- Ensure no other people are in view of the camera.
- Stand in front of a simple, plain background, if possible.
Use natural lighting
- Whether it’s natural light or from a lamp, for example, ensure the light is in front of you.
- Ensure the light is bright enough so no shadows appear on your face.
- If you notice glare, step back from the light source.
If ID.me is unable to capture your selfie after multiple attempts, you will see “Unable To Capture Your Selfie.”
To finish submitting your selfie:
- Select Continue and enter additional information.
- After completing the rest of the Self-Service steps, select Join video call.
Note: Once you see this screen, you can return to complete your video call at any time. If you cannot connect to your video call, you will also receive an email to return at your convenience.
- After you finish your video call, ID.me will send you an email with important next steps to complete the verification process. Be sure to follow the steps carefully to complete your verification.