You can reset your password to get access to your account. This article explains how to sign in if you don’t remember your password.
If your account is locked, suspended, or you can’t access the email for your ID.me account, visit I can't sign in to my account.
1. Request your password reset
To request a password reset:
- Go to the ID.me sign in page.
- Select Forgot password.
- Enter your ID.me account email address, then select Continue.
- Go to your email inbox. You’ll receive an email reset password with the subject line: ID.me - Your password reset link. It can take up to 10 minutes to receive the password reset email. If you don’t see the email, check your spam folder.
- In the email, select Reset your password. In the new window, select Continue.
2. Complete multi-factor authentication
Complete multi-factor authentication (MFA) if it’s set up for your account. Otherwise, you’ll be prompted to enter your new password.
Select the MFA method you’d like to use, if prompted. If you only have one MFA method set up, you’ll be automatically prompted to complete MFA. Below is an example where push notification and device unlock are set up.
3. Enter your new password
After you complete MFA, enter your new password, then select Continue.
Passwords are case-sensitive. Your password must have:
- Eight characters minimum
- One lowercase letter
- One uppercase letter
- One number
A message confirms your password reset was successful.
Below are common scenarios you may encounter when requesting a password reset.
The password reset link or code isn’t working
Make sure you are using the most recent password reset email.
Other sign-in issues
For a list of other common sign-in issues, visit I can’t sign in to my account.
When to contact support