When you set up your multi-factor authentication (MFA) method for the first time, you have the option to generate a recovery code. You can save the code to your device, print it, or write it down to help ensure you always have access to your ID.me account. This article explains how to generate and use your recovery code.
Before you start
You can only save recovery codes when you first set up your MFA method. It’s not possible to view or save these codes when adding a secondary MFA method.
Where to find your recovery code
At the end of the MFA setup process, we’ll confirm your account is secure. This is where you can view and save your recovery code. To save the recovery code:
- Select Generate recovery code.
- Write down the code or save it to your device as a PDF by selecting Download a copy.
Remember to keep this code in a safe place.
Keep in mind:
- A recovery code can only be used once.
- Each time a recovery code is used, a new code is issued, and the original code becomes invalid.
How to use your recovery code
To use your recovery code:
- Sign in to your ID.me account, entering your email address and password.
- Instead of choosing an MFA method, select Recovery code.
- Enter your Recovery code, then select Continue.
- You’ll see your recovery code that you can save or write down. To finish signing in to your account, select Continue.
For help with common MFA issues, visit Troubleshooting multi-factor authentication.