If you no longer have access to the phone you used to set up multi-factor authentication (MFA) on your ID.me account or if you got a new phone number, you’ll need to take other steps to sign in. This also applies if you:
- Changed phone providers
- Lost your phone
- Deactivated or upgraded your phone
To sign in to your ID.me account, you can enter your recovery code or update your MFA settings. This article explains both of these processes.
Option 1 - Enter your recovery code
If you don’t have your recovery code, skip to Option 2. To enter your recovery code:
- Sign in to your ID.me account using your email address and password or with your social media or third-party account.
- Select the Recovery code link.
- Enter your recovery code, then select Continue.
- Download or write down your new recovery code. You’ll also need to update your MFA settings.
Option 2 - Update your MFA settings
- Sign in to your ID.me account using your email address and password or with your social or third-party account. The “COMPLETE YOUR SIGN IN” window displays.
- Select Update your settings here.
- If you have more than one MFA method set up, select any method, then select Update your settings here.