If there is a change in the ownership of your phone (for example, if you deactivate or upgrade your phone, or change phone providers), it can disrupt your multi-factor authentication (MFA) option(s), depending on which one you have selected.
To update your MFA settings:
1. Sign in to your ID.me account.
2. During the sign-in process, you will see a screen like this, prompting you to receive a code at the old phone number. At the bottom of the screen, click the link to update your settings here.
3. On the screen below, click Continue. Leave this browser tab open.
4. In a different window or new tab in your browser, check your email. (You may need to check your spam folder.) Look for an email from firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject ID.me - Confirm your email to update multi-factor settings.
5. Open the email and click the Confirm your email button. (You may also copy the 6-digit code in the email, and paste it into the ID.me sign-in screen.)
6. Return to the ID.me sign-in screen, and follow the prompts to verify your identity information. When your identity has been verified, click Continue on the screen below.
7. Now you are ready to Secure Your Account. Select your desired MFA option, enter the required information, and complete your update.