When you verify your identity with ID.me, you will need to upload images of specific personal identity documents, such as a driver’s license or passport. This article explains common reasons documents are rejected, tips for taking photos of your documents, and how to upload new documents.
Why documents are rejected
Your identity documents may be rejected if:
- The documents contain an error or typo.
- The documents are expired.
- The documents are unreadable.
- The document was already uploaded by another ID.me member.
Tips to take photos of your document
When attempting to submit new documents, use these tips:
- Take the photo straight on, instead of at an angle.
- Match the orientation to the document. For example, use a landscape orientation for wide documents.
- Your document should fill as much of the frame as possible, without cutting off the document. All four corners of the document should be visible.
- Turn off the flash on your camera to reduce glare.
- Place your document on a dark table or surface.
- Make sure there are no other objects in the photo.
Upload another document photo
How you upload another document depends on whether you are using self-service or a video call to verify your identity.
If a document you uploaded was rejected, select Retry and use the tips listed above to take a better photo of your document.
If you closed out of ID.me before retrying your upload, return to the partner you were verifying for, and restart the verification process.
If a document you uploaded was rejected, ID.me will send you an email showing you which documents were rejected and why. To upload the same document, or select a different one:
- Go to the email and select Upload another document.
- Sign in to your ID.me account. For steps on how to sign in to your account, visit Signing in and out of your ID.me account.
- Review the email to understand why the document wasn’t accepted, then gather the documents you’d like to upload.
Tip: To choose a different document to upload select Change Document Type, then follow the steps below.
- Select Choose image to upload from your computer, or Take Photo to take a photo with your smartphone, then select Continue.
- Follow the prompts to upload new photos of your documents. Visit the section above for tips for taking photos of your document.
After you submit your documents, ID.me will review them and send you an email when you are ready to continue with your verification. Follow the prompts in the email to complete your verification.