Sometimes, your identity verification involves taking a photo of your face (a "selfie") and submitting it with your documents.
Before you get started:
- You can use a smartphone or other mobile device with a phone number to complete this process. (No smartphone? Incompatible browser? Read the screens carefully for other options that may be available.)
- It is possible to complete the entire identity verification process on your smartphone or mobile device. However, you may find it easier if you start the process on a laptop or computer, then use your smartphone to take the selfie, then return to your computer to finish.
1. When you are prompted to take a selfie, click the blue button to Take a photo with my device.
2. Next, enter the phone number of the device you will use to take the selfie and click Continue.
3. Now your screen looks like the one below. It's important to keep this screen / tab open for the rest of the process.
4. Check for a text message like the one below. Tap on the link provided.
5. You may need to Grant permission to allow the selfie to be taken on your device, or tap the Allow button like the one below.
6. When you are ready to take your selfie, tap Scan my face or I'm ready to take a selfie.
7. Follow the prompts to take the photo, and carefully follow any instructions displayed. (For example, make sure you are in a well-lit area and your face takes up most of the frame.)
8. When you have successfully taken your selfie, you may see a preview of your selfie, or your screen may look like the one below. Either way, tap Continue. You may need to scroll down to see the Continue button, and it may take a second or two before the button is displayed.
9. You will know that your selfie was successfully uploaded when your screen looks like this.
10. Now return to the browser tab you kept open in step 3. That screen will refresh, and the next step will be displayed.