ID.me has partnered with the South Carolina Department of Employment and Workforce (SC DEW) to help verify your identity for Unemployment Insurance (UI) and Pandemic Unemployment Insurance (PUA) benefits.
If you are filing a new initial claim in the SC DEW Unemployment Insurance Portal, you’ll be required to verify with ID.me.
1. Click to access the MyBenefits portal from dew.sc.gov’s website.
2. Click the green Verify with ID.me button to begin the identity verification process.
3. Follow the prompts to either open your existing ID.me account, or create a new one.
5. Select and set up the multi-factor authentication option of your choice.
7. Follow the prompts to submit photos of your selected document. Click here for tips and best practices. (NOTE: Holograms on the South Carolina driver's license can obscure your face; take this picture carefully.)
8. When prompted, take and submit a selfie.
9. Enter all other requested information, including your Social Security number.
10. At the end of the process, be sure to click Allow and continue. This step shares your identity information with the DEW and enables you to continue with your UI or PUA claim.
NOTE: If your online identity verification attempt is unsuccessful, you may wish to use our Trusted Referee verification option. Look for the Verify identity on a video call button and follow the prompts. Click here to learn more.
11. After completing the ID.me verification step, you will be brought back to the MyBenefits portal and you will need to create an account.
12. Complete your initial claim for Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits.
For more information on how to create your ID.me account and verify your identity, watch the video below.
Help with ID.me & Support Information:
- Explore the robust ID.me FAQ page. Search questions and other related articles to assist you through the process.
- If you don’t see the answer to your questions, you will need to put in a support ticket with ID.me, not DEW. For your security, DEW is unable to access your ID.me account or help with the ID.me verification process.
- To open an ID.me support ticket, click here.
- Tips and best practices for selecting and uploading acceptable identity documents.
- How To Set Up and Protect Your ID.me Account. (See PDF below.)
- Guide to Verifying Your Identity On Video Call. (See PDF below.)
- Recursos para solicitantes de habla hispana. Cómo configurar y proteger su cuenta de ID.me (Ver PDF a continuación.)