Eligibility for Responder ID

ID.me defines a "First Responder" as an employee of an emergency service who is likely to be among the first people to physically arrive at the scene of an emergency. We can verify the following occupations as "First Responders":


  • Police Officer (Federal, State, and Local)
  • ​Sheriff / Sheriff's Deputy
  • Correctional Officer
  • State Trooper
  • Federal Law Enforcement Officer (Ex:  Customs, Homeland Security, etc.)
  • Probation & Parole Officers
  • Bridge and Tunnel Officers
  • Detention Officers
  • Railroad Police Officers
  • School Resource Officers
  • Auxiliary & Reserve Sheriff Deputy or Police Officers
  • Animal Control Officers who are credentialed as a Law Enforcement Officer
  • Fire Marshals who are certified Law Enforcement Officers
  • Custody Officers
  • Court Bailiffs/Court Officers (must be hold law enforcement credentials)


  • Career Firefighter (Retired and Federal included)
  • Wild-land firefighter/ Prescribed fire burn manager
  • Volunteer Firefighter
  • Fire Marshal


  • Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
  • Paramedic

The following occupations are currently not able to be verified by ID.me:

  • 911 Dispatcher/Fire Communications Public Safety Telecommunicator
  • Doctors, Registered Nurses, or other medical professionals
  • Ski Patrol - unless you have a current EMT License
  • CERT Team Members (Community Emergency Response Team)
  • VIPS - Volunteers in Police Service
  • Search and Rescue Team Members
  • Emergency Management Volunteers
  • Transportation Security Officer for TSA
  • Chaplains
  • Civilian Employees (Staff, Employees, Secretaries, Administrative Assistants, etc.
  • Community Outreach Specialist/ Service Aide
  • Code Enforcement Officer
  • Coroner
  • Corrections Staff (Civilian Employees)
  • Department of Agriculture
  • Crime Scene Analyst/Tech/Lab
  • Deputy Clerk
  • Sanitation Workers
  • Victims Witness Assistants
  • Peace Corps
  • Highway Workers / Road Patrol
  • Forensic Services




Have more questions? Submit a request