The ID.me Authenticator app is a free app you need to download to set up code generator and push notification multi-factor authentication (MFA) for your ID.me account. The App is currently available for iOS and Android devices. This article explains requirements for and how to download the Authenticator app.
What to know
- You cannot use the ID.me Authenticator app to verify your identity. It’s only used for multi-factor authentication (MFA).
- You cannot use other, third-party authenticator apps to secure and sign in to your ID.me account.
We recommend using the most current operating systems for Apple iOS and Android devices. While the app may work in older operating systems, those often don’t receive app enhancements, bug fixes, or security patches.
Download the Authenticator app
You can download the ID.me Authenticator app two different ways:
From app stores
To download the app:
- For iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch), visit the App Store
- For Android devices, visit the Google Play Store
If you have trouble downloading or installing the app, ensure you have a reliable WiFi and internet connection.
During MFA setup
When you set up multi-factor authentication (MFA) for your ID.me account, you’ll be prompted to enter your email address or phone number to receive a download link.
For steps to set up MFA using the ID.me Authenticator app, visit:
- Setting up push notification multi-factor authentication
- Setting up code generator multi-factor authentication
- Setting up NFC-enabled security key multi-factor authentication
Tip: When you set up MFA for the first time, be sure to save your recovery code. This way, if you forget your password or change devices, you can still sign into your account.
Manage your Authenticator app settings
To change settings in your ID.me Authenticator app, visit Managing your ID.me Authenticator app.