The Massachusetts Department of Unemployment Assistance (MDUA) works with ID.me to create a highly secure identity verification process that ensures you—and only you—will be able to access your benefits.
ID.me’s role in this partnership is exclusively regarding identity verification. ID.me does not approve unemployment claims or distribute funds to claimants. This article explains how to verify with ID.me for Massachusetts’ DUA.
About the verification process
The ID.me next-generation identity platform meets the highest federal standards for online identity proofing and authentication. During the verification process, you will be asked to share your information.
How to verify
Follow the steps below to verify your identity.
1. Visit Massachusetts DUA
If you received notification from MDUA to verify your identity, visit the website referenced in the message, then select Verify with ID.me.
2. Verify your identity
You can use the self-service verification method to verify your identity for unemployment benefits. For steps to verify your identity, visit Verifying for state benefits and services.
If you can’t complete the verification process due to an issue with your documents, you will be routed to verify your identity over a video call.
After you verify
After you verify your identity, ID.me will notify MDUA, who will approve your pending identity verification. This process may take up to five business days to complete from the time you verify your identity. Continue to submit your weekly certification reports in the meantime. Note that approval of the identity verification issue will not release payment if there are other pending issues holding pay on your claim.
Manage your ID.me account
After creating your ID.me account, you can also manage your account settings.
- Change or add email addresses to your account.
- Reset your password.
- If you can’t access your ID.me account email address, need to reset your password, or see an error message, visit I can't sign in to my account.
- Learn more about Getting started with multi-factor authentication.
- If you’re having trouble, visit Troubleshooting multi-factor authentication.
Who to contact for support
Who you need to contact for help depends on if you completed the verification process or not.
ID.me can help if you have trouble with the identity verification process. Common issues include:
- Account sign-in issues
- Uploading identification documents or selfies
- Fixing documents that were rejected
They can best help with questions and next steps after you complete the verification process. For example, you may have questions about benefits or services you verified for. Before contacting them:
- Confirm your verification was successful
- Confirm you shared your information with the partner
- Review our best practices and sample messages of how to request help from ID.me partners