The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) works with ID.me to provide identity verification for online CDPH health record requests. ID.me does not process or approve CDPH requests for medical records. This article explains how to verify your identity for CDPH.
About the verification process
ID.me’s next-generation identity platform meets the highest federal standards for online identity proofing and authentication. During the verification process, you will be asked to share your information.
How to verify
Follow the steps below to verify your identity.
1. Begin with CPDH
To get started:
- Go to the CDPH “My Turn” Virtual Assistant and select a language. Read and agree to the CDPH privacy statement.
- Answer the questions asked by the Virtual Assistant, select an issue that reflects your situation, and enter your personal information. If the assistant is able to access your CDPH records right away, you do not need to verify your identity. If the assistant is unable to access your records, you will be asked to verify your identity with ID.me.
- Select Create an account. You’ll be automatically directed to the ID.me sign-in page.
2. Create an ID.me account or sign in
To begin the verification process:
- If you have an ID.me account, sign in using your email address and password.
To create an ID.me account, select Create an ID.me account, enter your email address and password, then confirm your email address.
- Set up multi-factor authentication (MFA) to make your account even more secure.
Tip: If you’re setting up MFA for the first time, make sure to save or download your recovery code to ensure you always have access to your ID.me account.
- After your ID.me account is set up, continue to verify your identity.
3. Verify your identity
You can verify your identity for CDPH by uploading a photo of a government-issued photo ID or by answering questions about your financial history. Review the sections below for steps on each verification method:
To verify your identity using a phone number in your name:
- Select Answer questions on your credit history.
- Enter your full name, Social Security Number, date of birth, phone number and address, and confirm the information you entered is correct.
- Answer multiple-choice questions regarding your financial history and select Continue.
Note: This is not a credit inquiry. For more information, visit Does ID.me look at my credit history?
To verify your identity with a government-issued photo ID:
- Select the government ID you want to upload. You may choose to upload a driver’s license, state ID, passport or passport card.
- Follow the prompts to upload a photo of your government-issued ID. You can submit a photo of the document with your smartphone or upload one from your computer.
- Confirm that the information on your ID is clearly legible in the photo and select Continue.
- Review and confirm your information.
- Select Allow and continue to finish your identity verification process. This step shares verification of your identity with CDPH so you can complete the submission of your remediation request.
After you verify
After you successfully verified your identity, remediation of your record will be completed by CDPH within 1 week.
Manage your ID.me account
After creating your ID.me account, you can also manage your account settings.
- Change or add email addresses to your account.
- Reset your password.
- If you can’t access your ID.me account email address, need to reset your password, or see an error message, visit I can't sign in to my account.
- Learn more about Getting started with multi-factor authentication.
- If you’re having trouble, visit Troubleshooting multi-factor authentication.
If you were unable to access your Digital COVID-19 Vaccine Record via the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) website, it's likely CDPH has your record, but not your correct information.
- Your mobile phone number or email address was not included or does not match,
- Name is spelled differently, or
- Date of birth does not match.
You can request a review of your record through the CDPH My Turn Virtual Assistant. From there, you will be asked to verify your identity with ID.me. After you have successfully verified your identity, remediation of your record will be completed by CDPH within 1 week.