The California Employment Development Department (California EDD) works with ID.me to create a highly secure identity verification process that ensures you—and only you—will be able to access your benefits. ID.me’s role in this partnership is exclusively regarding identity verification. ID.me does not approve unemployment claims or distribute funds to claimants.
This article explains how to verify your identity as a claimant for unemployment insurance.
About the verification process
ID.me’s next-generation identity platform meets the highest federal standards for online identity proofing and authentication. During the verification process, you will be asked to share your information.
In addition, ID.me has built rigorous security and privacy requirements into our technology. Learn more about ID.me’s Privacy Bill of Rights and how your information is protected.
How to verify
Follow the steps below to verify your identity.
1. Begin with CA EDD
To get started:
- Visit the California EDD site and in the site header, select Benefits Login.
- Sign in with an existing EDD account or to create a new account, select Register Now.
- Select UI Online, then select File New Claim.
- Enter your information when prompted, then select Verify with ID.me. This takes you to ID.me’s sign-in page.
2. Verify your identity
You can verify your identity for unemployment benefits in California using self-service or on a live video call. For steps to verify your identity, visit Verifying for state benefits and services.
After you verify
To complete the identity verification process, your next step is to return to the state’s website and continue to file your new claim. If you verified on a video call, you will need to share your information with CA EDD:
- Go to Begin with CA EDD and follow steps 1 - 3.
- Select Verify with ID.me log in to your existing account. You will be redirected to the state’s website. If the redirect is unsuccessful, you may need to return to the EDD site and select File a New Claim.
- Follow the prompts to continue your claim.
- When prompted, select Allow. This shares your identity information with the state and enables the claim process to continue.
Manage your ID.me account
After creating your ID.me account, you can also manage your account settings.
- Change or add email addresses to your account.
- Reset your password.
- If you can’t access your ID.me account email address, need to reset your password, or see an error message, visit I can't sign in to my account.
- Learn more about Getting started with multi-factor authentication.
- If you’re having trouble, visit Troubleshooting multi-factor authentication.
Fraud notice for Californians
Scammers continue to prey upon those in need of assistance during this pandemic. California EDD has reported that individuals are impersonating California EDD and ID.me to get individuals to divulge their personal identifying information. Californians should be aware that EDD does not send representatives to homes and neither California EDD nor ID.me will contact individuals via social media and other websites.
- If EDD calls claimants, the caller ID may show “St of CAEDD” or the UI Customer Service number 1-800-300-5616 from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- If individuals opted in for SMS text alerts, messages are sent from 510-74 or 918-06 to the phone number listed on the unemployment claim.
For the latest developments involving benefit fraud, visit EDD’s new consolidated “Help Fight Fraud” webpage.