The New York State Department of Labor (NYS DOL) has partnered with ID.me to verify claimants requesting benefits and services online. ID.me provides secure digital identity verification to government agencies and other partners to make sure you are you—and not someone pretending to be you.
About the verification process
ID.me’s next-generation identity platform meets the highest federal standards for online identity proofing and authentication. During the verification process, you will be asked to share your information.
How to verify
Verification begins with the NYS DOL. If you received notification from NYS DOL to verify your identity, visit the website referenced in the message, then select Verify with ID.me. You can use the self-service verification method to verify your identity. For steps to verify your identity, visit Verifying for state benefits.
If you can’t complete the verification process due to an issue with your documents, you will be routed to verify your identity over a video call.
After you verify
After you finish identity verification, you’ll need to go to the NYS DOL website to file your claim. Select the tab below for steps on filing your claim with self-service or with a video call with an ID.me Trusted Referee.
After you complete your verification, you’ll be redirected to the state’s website. If the redirect is unsuccessful, return to the NYS DOL site and select File a Claim. To file a claim and share your information with NYS DOL:
- Select Verify with ID.me and sign in to your existing account.
- Follow the prompts to continue your claim.
- When prompted, select Allow to share your identity information with NYS DOL.
Note: If you see a “Mismatched Information” error, follow the steps to fix this.
- Continue with filling and submitting your NYS DOL claim.
Steps to complete your application for benefits if you verified your identity with a Trusted Referee:
- Return to the NYS DOL site.
- Log in to your NYS DOL account.
- Return to the “File a New Claim” process.
- Fill out the information requested.
- Provide your ID.me credentials when prompted.
- Follow the steps for NYS DOL, then select Allow so they can use your verified identity information.
- Finalize and submit your new claim.
After you verify and submit your claim, no additional steps are required. If there are any eligibility issues, NYS DOL will contact you. For more information, contact NYS DOL.
"Mismatched Information" error
The last step of ID.me’s verification is to grant permission to share your information with your state’s unemployment agency. When the information the unemployment agency has on file is different from the information you gave to ID.me, you may receive a “Mismatched Information” error.
The most common mismatch error is related to an email address. Make sure the primary email address on your ID.me account matches the email address on your unemployment account. If needed, you can update your ID.me email address.
If your email address matches at both sites, you may need to update your mailing address or phone number at the state unemployment site.
To update your email address in your NYS DOL account:
- Visit New York’s Department of Labor page.
- Log in to your account.
- Select My Account Services to update your address, phone number and other information.
- If necessary, sign into your ID.me account and allow consent for the changes.
If you have more questions, contact NYS DOL.
Manage your ID.me account
After creating your ID.me account, you can also manage your account settings.
- Change or add email addresses to your account.
- Reset your password.
- If you can’t access your ID.me account email address, need to reset your password, or see an error message, visit I can't sign in to my account.
- Learn more about Getting started with multi-factor authentication.
- If you’re having trouble, visit Troubleshooting multi-factor authentication.