The North Carolina Division of Employment Security (NC DES) works with ID.me to verify claimants requesting benefits and services online. ID.me provides secure digital identity verification to government agencies and other partners to make sure you-are-you. This article explains how to verify with ID.me for North Carolina’s DES.
About the verification process
ID.me’s next-generation identity platform meets the highest federal standards for online identity proofing and authentication. During the verification process, you will be asked to share your information.
In addition, ID.me has built rigorous security and privacy requirements into our technology. Learn more about ID.me’s Privacy Bill of Rights and how your information is protected.
How to verify
Follow the steps below to verify your identity.
1. Visit North Carolina DES
To get started:
- Go to the NC DES website.
- Sign in to your NC DES account. If you do not have an NC DES account, you must create a new account.
- Validate your log-in by entering the “One-Time Passcode” NC DES sends to your email. After you select Validate, you should be redirected to the NC DES “Identity Verification” page.
- If prompted, select Verify with ID.me. You’ll be redirected to the ID.me to sign in to or create your ID.me account and verify your identity.
2. Verify your identity
You can use the self-service verification method to verify your identity for unemployment benefits in North Carolina. For steps to verify your identity, visit Verifying for state benefits and services.
If you can’t complete the verification process due to an issue with your documents, you will be routed to verify your identity over a video call.
After you verify
After you verify your ID.me account for NC DES, you can log in to your North Carolina DES account after consenting to share your information with NC DES. When prompted to verify your identity, select Verify with ID.me and enter your ID.me username and password.
If you verified over a video call with a Video Chat Agent, you must select Allow and continue to complete the process and continue with your application.
Manage your ID.me account
After creating your ID.me account, you can also manage your account settings.
- Change or add email addresses to your account.
- Reset your password.
- If you can’t access your ID.me account email address, need to reset your password, or see an error message, visit I can't sign in to my account.
- Learn more about Getting started with multi-factor authentication.
- If you’re having trouble, visit Troubleshooting multi-factor authentication.