ID.me works with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) to verify USPTO users accessing the Trademark Electronic Application System (TEAS) filing system. This article explains how you can verify with USPTO using self-service, an automated process.
Before you verify
To verify using self-service, you’ll need:
- A mobile phone that has a camera or a computer with a webcam
- Email address
- Photo ID (Driver's License, Passport, Passport Card, or State ID)
- Social Security number
1. Sign in to MyUSPTO
To begin the verification process, sign in to your MyUSPTO account:
- Go to www.uspto.gov and select MyUSPTO in the upper right corner of the page.
- Sign in to your USPTO.gov account. If you haven’t set up an account, select Create a USPTO.gov account and enter your information.
- Access the TEAS filing system. When prompted for a one-time verification, select the appropriate role from the drop down.
- Select Verify with ID.me. If you haven’t created an ID.me account, select Create account and confirm your email to begin.
Note: It’s not possible to have more than one verified account. If you already have an ID.me account, sign in instead
Set up multi-factor authentication
If you’re creating a new ID.me account, you’ll need to set up multi-factor authentication (MFA) to continue with verification. For steps to set up MFA, select one of the following MFA methods:
- Text Message or Phone Call
- Push Notification
- Code Generator
- NFC-Enabled Security Key
- FIDO Security Key
After you’ve successfully set up MFA, continue to Step 2. Verify your identity using self-service.
2. Verify your identity using self-service
After you’re signed in to your ID.me account, you can verify your identity with a video selfie, or over a video call with a live agent. To verify your identity with a video selfie:
- Select Self-Service, then select Continue. Self-service is an automated process where you'll need your Government ID and a selfie.
- Select the government ID you want to upload. You can take a photo of the document with your smartphone or upload one from your computer.
- Take and submit a video selfie. Your selfie will only be used to confirm that the person in the selfie matches your government ID.
- Enter your Social Security number.
- Review and confirm that all of your information is accurate, then select Yes. After ID.me verifies your identity you will receive a confirmation message as a way to protect you from fraud.
- Select Allow to finish your identity verification process. This step securely shares your identity information with USPTO.