You can configure one or more 2-Factor Authentication (2FA) options to add an extra layer of security to your ID.me account. This gives you additional flexibility and security when securely signing into your account. View and manage your 2FA settings by clicking on the “Sign In and Security” link from your ID.me “My Account” top navigation menu as shown below:
After an 2-factor authentication method is added to your ID.me account, each time you sign into your ID.me account, you will have the choice as to which method you would like to use to securely sign in.
Steps to add additional 2-factor authentication methods to your ID.me account.
- Sign into your ID.me “My Account” directly or by clicking “sign in” from the ID.me homepage.
- Click on “Sign in and Security” from the top navigation menu.
- Click on the “Security” link from the left navigation menu.
- Under the “Securing your account” section, you will see the all available options for multi-factor authentication. If you had already secured your ID.me Account with a 2-Factor Authentication method, it will be shown here.
Medical Providers: Per DEA EPCS regulations, “Text Message or Phone Call” option is not an applicable method for 2-factor authentication to prescribe controlled substances
- Select the option you would like to add and follow the prompts to complete the set-up for that 2-factor authentication option.
- If this is the first time you are setting up 2-factor authentication, you’ll be asked to verify your email first.
- These articles provide additional guidance for each 2-Factor authentication method.
- Text Message or Phone Call
- Push Notification (ID.me Authenticator)
- Code Generator
- FIDO U2F Security Key
- Once set-up is complete you will receive an email confirming that the set-up was successful.
- The next time you sign in, you’ll be presented with your enrolled 2-factor authentication methods, as determined to be permissible by the website or application at which you are signing in.
- From the available choices, select the method you wish to use at sign-in and proceed with authentication.
- Note: Not all of the 2-factor authentication methods you’ve enrolled in may be available at all ID.me login instances. In those instances, you’ll be directed to enroll in a qualified method at login time.
The following illustrative screenshot displays a login policy that supports both OTP delivered via Text Message and the Code Generator, which may be all the methods you’ve enrolled in via the ID.me My Account.
Medical Providers: Text Message or Phone Call based 2-factor authentication will not be available as an option for prescribing controlled substances per DEA EPCS regulations.