If the name on your identity documents is different than the name you provided on your application, you may be asked to verify your identity on a Trusted Referee video call.
You will be asked on the call to show a document verifying your name change.
- Your primary document must show your current name. Name change documents are not accepted. If you are verifying your identity for unemployment insurance and a primary document does not show your current name, please contact your state's workforce agency for next steps.
- Secondary documents may show your previous name.
- To document your name change, we accept certified copies or originals of the following:
- Marriage Certificate or Domestic Partnership document.
- Dissolution of Marriage document.
- Name-change document.
Name change documents are also unacceptable as proof of your Social Security number.
If your name has changed more than once, a separate name-change document is required for each event.