To verify your identity as someone living outside of the United States, you’ll need to verify on a video call with a Video Chat Agent. During this process, you’ll upload your identity documents, wait for them to be reviewed, then join a live video call to finish verification. This article explains how to verify while living outside of the US.
Who is this for?
You must verify on a video call with a Video Chat Agent if you:
- Don’t live in the United States
- Don’t have a U.S. phone number, mailing address, or Social Security number
Documents to verify
Submitting documents that help prove your identity are needed to verify on a video call. For a list of acceptable documents, visit Documents to verify if you live outside of the US.
1. Get started
To get started verifying your identity for a business, organization, or government agency—also known as an ID.me partner—start at the partner’s website. From their website:
- Look for and select an ID.me button that says: Create an account, Sign in with ID.me, or Verify with ID.me. This redirects you to the ID.me sign in page.
- Create an ID.me account or sign in to your account if you already have one.
- When creating a new account, confirm your email address and set up multi-factor authentication (MFA) to make your account even more secure. When signing in to an account you already have, complete sign in using MFA.
Note: You may not be able to set up text or phone MFA with certain phone numbers. If you get an error, choose a different MFA option, like the ID.me Authenticator app or Passkey.
- After you create your account or sign in, you’ll be redirected to the verification process.
2. Select a link during verification
During the verification process, select a link that indicates you don’t live in the United States or that you don’t have US-based information. The links that display depend on the partner you’re verifying for. Look for one of the following links:
I don’t live in the United States or I don’t have any of the documents
When prompted to choose your verification method or document, select I don’t live in the United States or I don’t have any of the documents listed above.
I don’t have a U.S. phone number
When prompted to enter your phone number, select I don’t have a US phone Number.
I don’t have a U.S. address
When prompted to enter your home address, select I don’t have a US address.
I don’t have a Social Security number
When prompted to enter your Social Security number, select I don’t have a Social Security Number. After selecting the button, enter and upload your passport information.
3. Verify on a video call
After you select a link, select Get started, then follow the prompts to verify your identity on a video call. You must enter your personal information, submit your documents, wait for them to be reviewed, then join a live video call to get verified.