The Virginia Employment Commission (VEC) works with ID.me to verify Virginia residents requesting benefits and services online.
ID.me provides secure digital identity verification to government agencies and other partners to make sure you are you—and not someone pretending to be you. This article explains how to verify your identity for VEC.
Before you verify
To verify your identity, you’ll need specific information and documents, depending if you verify using self-service, over a live video call, or in-person. We recommend gathering any necessary documents before you begin the verification process.
To verify, you’ll need:
To verify, you’ll need:
- A smartphone that has a camera or a computer with a webcam
- Email address
- Social Security Number
- Two primary or one primary and two secondary documents
1. Begin verification
Verification begins with VEC. If you received an email, text or voice message from the Virginia Employment Commission (VEC), select the link in the message. The link takes you to the VEC website, where you will start the verification process with ID.me by selecting the Verify with ID.me button.
- If you have an ID.me account, enter your email address and password, then select Sign in.
- If you do not have an account, select Create an ID.me account and enter the required information. Complete multi-factor authentication (MFA) and continue with your verification.
2. Sign in to ID.me
If you have an ID.me account, sign in using your email address and password. To create a new ID.me account:
- Enter your email address and password, then select Create account.
- Confirm your email address. For more information, visit How do I confirm my email address?
- Set up multi-factor authentication (MFA) to make your account even more secure.
Note: If you do not have a mobile device, select Backup Codes to generate 12 unique one-time-use codes.
3. Verify your identity
When you’re verifying your identity, you can choose to verify with self-service, a video call with an ID.me agent, or in-person at select retail locations. Select the tab below for an overview of each verification method:
After you’re signed in to your ID.me account, you can verify your identity by uploading a video selfie and a photo of a government-issued photo ID. To verify your identity with self-service:
- Select Self-Service when asked how you’d like to verify your identity.
- Upload photos of your document (front and back when prompted). These are the identity documents you'll submit to prove your identity.
- Take and submit a video selfie.
- Enter your Social Security number.
- Review and confirm your information.
After you’re signed in to your ID.me account, you can verify your identity with a video selfie, or over a video call with a live agent. To verify your identity with a video agent:
- Select Video Chat Agent when asked how you’d like to verify your identity.
- Select Get Started, accept ID.me's consent to collect personally identifiable information, then select Continue.
- Enter your information, then select Continue. Make sure the information you provide matches the information on your documents.
- Confirm your Social Security Number, then select Continue. Learn why ID.me asks for your Social Security number.
- Select the primary document you’d like to use, then select Continue. You'll need to upload a photo of two primary documents or one primary and two secondary documents. Your document should:
- Show your full name
- Show date of birth (primary documents)
- Be a photo or full-color scan
- Not be a photocopy
Connect with a Video Chat Agent
During the call with your Video Chat Agent, they’ll ask you to show your documents, so have them ready. To connect to a live call:
- You’ll receive an email from ID.me inviting you to join a video call with an ID.me Video Chat Agent. Select Check in now to join.
- Wait for the next Video Chat Agent to be available. Make sure to have the documents you uploaded on hand, as you will need to show the documents during the video call.
Tip: If you don't have time to wait, you can schedule a video call appointment for a day and time that's convenient for you.
- Confirm that you have your documents and that you consent to having your call recorded, then select Join video call.
- Show the Video Chat Agent your documents and answer a few questions to verify your identity.
After you’re signed in to your ID.me account, you can verify your identity with a video selfie, over a video call with a live agent or in-person at select locations. To verify your identity in person:
- Select In-Person Verification.
- Enter your information and select Continue.
- Enter your zip code or city name to find and choose a convenient location for your appointment, then select Continue.
- Choose a time and select Book Appointment.
Note: You can also do a walk-in appointment by visiting the same location during its regular business hours.
- Save your appointment confirmation.
Once confirmed, you will receive detailed information about your In-Person Verification appointment on your screen, as well as in your email. This information includes:
- Date and time of your appointment
- Address of the Identity Network Location you selected
- Reminder to bring two forms of identity documents
- Registration Code, both in the form of a QR code and 25-character registration code
- Instructions for your appointment
We recommend that you print and write down all of your appointment information on a piece of paper. Bring your appointment information and two forms of identity documents with you to your appointment.
4. Share your information
To complete the verification process, remember to consent to share your information with VEC.
If you verified your identity on a video call, there will be one last step to make sure you share your information with VEC. Check your email for specific instructions.
After you’re verified
After you are verified and VEC has your information, you can continue with VEC. For more information on what you can do after you’ve verified your identity for VEC, contact the Virginia Employment Commission.