The California Employment Development Department (EDD) works with ID.me to create a highly secure identity verification process that ensures you—and only you—can access your benefits. ID.me’s role in this partnership is only for identity verification. ID.me does not approve claims or distribute payments to claimants.
This article explains how to verify your identity as a disability claimant.
About the verification process
ID.me’s next-generation identity platform meets the highest federal standards for online identity proofing and authentication. During the verification process, you will be asked to share your information.
Before you verify
To complete the verification process you’ll need:
- A mobile phone with a camera or a computer with a webcam
- An email address you have access to
- Two or more identification documents (such as a driver's license, passport, passport card, or state ID)
- Your Social Security number
How to verify
Follow the steps below to verify your identity.
- Visit the EDD website and select Benefits Login in the upper-right corner.
- Log in to myEDD or select Create Account to register.
- From myEDD Home, select SDI Online.
- From SDI Online, select Register as a Claimant.
- When you reach the Verify Your Identity page, select Verify with ID.me.
Follow the instructions to verify your identity on the ID.me website.
Important: On the Authorize California EDD page you must select Allow to share your information with the EDD.
After you verify
If you choose self-service
Return to SDI Online and complete your disability or family leave application.
If you choose a video chat agent
After your video chat, if you have been logged out of UI Online:
- Follow the “How to verify” steps 1-5 above and sign in with your ID.me account.
- On the Authorize California EDD page select Allow to share your information with the EDD.
- Return to SDI Online and complete your disability or family leave application.
Manage your ID.me account
After creating your ID.me account, you can also manage your account settings.
- Change or add email addresses to your account.
- Reset your password.
- If you can’t access your ID.me account email address, need to reset your password, or see an error message, visit I can't sign in to my account.
- Learn more about Getting started with multi-factor authentication.
- If you’re having trouble, visit Troubleshooting multi-factor authentication.
Who to contact for support
Who you need to contact for help depends on if you completed the verification process or not.
ID.me can help if you have trouble with the identity verification process. Common issues include:
- Account sign-in issues
- Uploading identification documents or selfies
- Fixing documents that were rejected
The partner you verify for can best help with questions and next steps after you complete the verification process. For example, you may have questions about benefits or services you verified for. Before contacting the partner:
- Confirm your verification was successful
- Confirm you shared your information with the partner
- Review our best practices and sample messages of how to request help from ID.me partners