The California Employment Development Department (EDD) works with ID.me to verify your identity and status as a physician or practitioner so you can certify disability and family leave care claims for your patients.
This article explains how to verify your identity as a physician or practitioner.
About the verification process
ID.me’s next-generation identity platform meets the highest federal standards for online identity proofing and authentication. During the verification process, you will be asked to share your information.
Before you verify
To complete the verification process you’ll need:
- A mobile phone with a camera or a computer with a webcam
- An email address you have access to
- Two or more identification documents (such as a driver's license, passport, passport card, or state ID)
- Your Social Security number
- Your National Provider Identifier (NPI) credentials
- Medical license information (as filed with the California Department of Consumer Affairs)
How to verify
Follow the steps below to verify your identity.
- Visit the EDD website and select Benefits Login in the upper-right corner.
- Log in to myEDD or select Create Account to register.
- From myEDD Home, select SDI Online.
- From SDI Online, select Register as a Physician/Practitioner.
- When you reach the Verify Your Identity page, select Verify with ID.me.
- Follow the instructions to verify your identity on the ID.me website.
Important: On the Authorization California EDD page you must select Allow to share your information with the EDD.
- On the Medical page, select Begin to verify yourself as a medical provider.
After you verify
If you choose self-service
Return to SDI Online and complete your registration form, then select Submit.
If you choose a video chat agent
After your video chat, if you have been logged out of SDI Online:
- Follow the “How to verify” steps 1-5 above and sign in with your ID.me account.
- On the Authorize California EDD page select Allow to share your information with the EDD.
- Return to SDI Online and complete your registration form, then select Submit.