Select ID.me partners accept Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITIN) as an alternative to providing a Social Security number (SSN). To use an ITIN, you must verify with a Video Chat Agent, also known as a Trusted Referee.
Verify with ITIN
To verify your identity using an ITIN, make sure you are verifying through a Video Chat Agent, also known as a Trusted Referee. During verification:
- When prompted to enter your SSN, select Continue by entering your Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).
- Enter and confirm your ITIN, then select Continue and follow the prompts to complete your verification.
- Continue to verify over a video call.
Video Chat Agent — What you need
- Email address
- CP565 or bank statement showing full ITIN
- One primary document and two secondary documents (or two primary documents)
- Smartphone or computer with a camera
After entering your ITIN, keep in mind:
- You will need to upload at least 2 Primary Documents or 1 Primary Document and 2 Secondary Documents, including your CP-565 notice or bank statement showing full ITIN.
You may be asked to provide a selfie (a photo of yourself) to complete your verification. After uploading your documents, you will be routed to verify your identity over a video call with an ID.me Video Chat Agent, also known as a Trusted Referee.
What is a CP565 notice?
A CP565 notice is a document you receive when the IRS has given you an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). ID.me will need to see this notice to verify your identity with an ITIN.