Select ID.me partners accept Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITIN) as an alternative to providing a Social Security number (SSN). To use an ITIN, you must verify on a video call with a Video Chat Agent, also known as a Trusted Referee.
What you'll need
To complete this verification process, you will need:
- Email address
- Smartphone or computer with a camera
- Proof of ITIN: CP565 Notice or bank statement showing full ITIN
- Two additional documents: one primary document and one secondary document or two primary documents, one of which must prove your address.
After entering your ITIN:
- Upload your CP-565 notice or a bank statement showing full ITIN. If you no longer have your CP-565 notice, please call the IRS for assistance.
- Upload a primary or secondary document that includes proof of your address and any other primary or secondary document.
What is a CP565 notice?
A CP565 notice is a document you receive when the IRS has given you an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). ID.me will need to see this notice to verify your identity with an ITIN.
1. Sign in or create an ID.me account
To begin the verification process:
- Go to the partner site you’re verifying for.
- If you already have an ID.me account, select Sign in with ID.me, enter your email and password, then complete multi-factor authentication. Otherwise, select Create an account to create a new ID.me account.
- Confirm your email, if required. After it’s confirmed, you’ll be redirected to start verification.
2. Enter and submit your information
To verify using ITIN:
- When navigating the verification process, if available, select I don’t have the documents listed above at the bottom of the screen, then follow the prompts to verify on a video call.
- Otherwise, select Self-Service, then follow the prompts to upload your identification documents.
- Take and submit a selfie.
- On the screen to enter your Social Security number, select I don’t have a Social Security Number if available.
Follow the prompts to join and verify with a video call.
3. Join a video call
Before joining a video call, upload your documents to prove your ITIN and submit a selfie:
When prompted to enter your Social Security number, select Continue by entering your Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).
- Enter your ITIN.
- Upload your documents.
- Follow the prompts to join a video call with a Video Chat Agent.
After you’re verified, you may receive an email with next steps, depending on the partner you’re verifying for. Follow the instructions in the email to share your information with your ID.me partner.