Iowa Workforce Development (IWD) works with ID.me to create a highly secure identity verification process that ensures you—and only you—will be able to access your benefits. ID.me’s role in this partnership is exclusively regarding identity verification. This article explains how to verify your identity for Iowa Workforce Development.
Before you verify
To verify your identity, you’ll need specific information and documents, depending if you verify using Self-Service, a short video call, or in-person. We recommend gathering any necessary documents before you begin the verification process.
Self-Service is the most common verification method. To verify, you’ll need:
During a short video call, you’ll upload your document, then work with a live agent to finish verification. To verify, you’ll need:
With In-Person Verification, complete your document upload and selfie verification steps at select Identity Network Locations. To verify your identity in person, you’ll need:
1. Visit IWD
Verification begins with Iowa Workforce Development. To get started:
- Log into your Iowa Workforce Development account at uiclaims.iwd.iowa.gov/UIInitialClaim/ to register for a new claim, or visit uiclaims.iwd.iowa.gov/weeklyclaims/ to certify your weekly claims and select File Weekly Claim.
- Select Verify with ID.me.
You’ll be redirected to the ID.me sign-in page where you can sign in or create an account.
2. Sign in to ID.me
If you have an ID.me account, sign in using your email address and password.
To create a new ID.me account, select Create an ID.me account, then set up your account:
- Enter your email address and password, then select Create account.
- Confirm your email address. For more information, visit Confirming your email address.
- Set up multi-factor authentication (MFA) to make your account even more secure.
3. Verify your identity
Verify your identity using Self-Service, a short video call, or in-person at select Identity Network Locations. Select the tab below for an overview of each verification method:
To verify your identity using Self-Service:
- Select Self-Service.
- Follow the prompts to upload your US driver’s license or state photo ID, or select Change Document to upload a passport or passport card. Learn how to take photos of your documents.
- Take and submit a video selfie. Your selfie will only be used to confirm that the person in the selfie matches your government ID. You may request that ID.me delete your Biometric Data at any time.
- Enter your Social Security number.
- Review and confirm that all of your information is accurate, then select Yes. After ID.me verifies your identity you will receive a confirmation message as a way to protect you from fraud.
- Select Allow to finish your identity verification process.
To verify on a video call:
- Select Video Chat Agent.
Note: If you don’t have the required identity documents, select I don’t have any of the documents listed above to verify on an extended video call.
- Select Get Started, accept ID.me's consent to collect personally identifiable information, then select Continue.
- Follow the prompts to upload your US driver’s license or state photo ID, or select Change document to upload a passport or passport card. Learn how to take photos of your documents.
- Enter your remaining information, including your Social Security number, then select Continue. Learn why ID.me asks for your Social Security number.
Connect with a Video Chat Agent
During the call with your Video Chat Agent, the agent will compare you to your uploaded identity document. To connect to a video call:
- After your information is confirmed, you will be prompted to join a video call. Select Join video call to proceed.
- Wait for the next Video Chat Agent to be available.
- Consent to having your call recorded, select Continue, then select Join video call when prompted. You may request that ID.me delete your Biometric Data at any time.
- Stay on the call as the Video Chat Agent compares you to your identity document photo. This should only take a moment.
After you’re signed in to your ID.me account, book your in-person appointment:
- Select In-Person Verification.
- Enter your information and select Continue.
- Enter your zip code or city name to find and choose a convenient location for your appointment, then select Continue.
- Choose a day and time for your appointment or choose walk-in to visit any time during regular business hours. Select Book Appointment.
- Save your appointment confirmation.
After you book an appointment, your In-Person Verification appointment details display on the screen and we’ll send you the details by email. This information includes:
- Date and time of your appointment
- Address of the Identity Network Location you selected
- Reminder to bring 2-3 identity documents
- Registration Code, both in the form of a QR code and 25-character registration code. Registration Codes expire 30 days from the day you book your appointment.
- Instructions for your appointment
How to verify in person
Bring your appointment information and 2-3 identity documents with you to your appointment. To verify in person:
- When you arrive, find the technician who will help you verify your identity in person. They are trained to confirm your identity documents are valid, that your documents belong to you, and that your documents match the information you enter.
- Go to the kiosk and enter your personal information and Registration code.
- Follow the remaining on-screen prompts, including submitting photos of your documents and a selfie. After the technician confirms your documents are valid, an ID.me document reviewer will validate your documents.
- Wait to receive a confirmation email from ID.me.
4. Finish verification
To complete the verification process, remember to consent to share your information with IWD. How you do this depends on the verification method you use:
- Self-Service: After you confirm your information, select Allow to share your information.
- Video Chat Agent or in-person: Follow the steps in the email you receive after the video call or verifying in-person to make sure you share your information with IWD. You’ll need to:
- Log back into your Iowa Workforce Development account at uiclaims.iwd.iowa.gov/UIInitialClaim/ to for a new claim or uiclaims.iwd.iowa.gov/weeklyclaims/ to for weekly claims.
- On the next screen, select Verify with ID.me.
- Enter your ID.me username and password.
- Select Allow to grant consent to complete your verification and send your information to IWD.
Done! You may now continue with your new claims process or certifying your weekly claim.
Who to contact for support
Who you need to contact for help depends on if you completed the verification process or not.
ID.me can help if you have trouble with the identity verification process. Common issues include:
- Account sign-in issues
- Uploading identification documents or selfies
- Fixing documents that were rejected
They can best help with questions and next steps after you complete the verification process. For example, you may have questions about benefits or services you verified for. Before contacting them:
- Confirm your verification was successful
- Confirm you shared your information with the partner
- Review our best practices and sample messages of how to request help from ID.me partners