The National Practitioner Data Bank (NPDB) works with ID.me to provide multi-factor authentication (MFA) options for the Health and Human Services (HHS) External User Management System (XMS). This article explains how to use ID.me for NPDB Self-Query and the XMS login page.
Before you begin
- For NPDB, you can use any of our multi-factor authentication (MFA) methods.
- If you created an ID.me account in the past, ensure you sign in to that account instead of creating a new one. It’s not possible to have more than one ID.me account.
Note: You may need to take certain steps if you live outside of the United States. To learn more, visit Verifying if you live outside of the United States.
Enable MFA using ID.me
The NPDB is moving to a system to require multi-factor authentication, or MFA, for all users. The HHS External Management System (XMS) administers MFA for the NPDB. You’ll need to create an ID.me account, enable MFA, and then link the new MFA option in NPDB.
To use ID.me to enable MFA:
- Go to the NPDB application you’d like to access:
- For a certified electronic response of your results, go to https://www.npdb.hrsa.gov/, select Sign in, then select Sign In to a Self-Query Order from the drop down menu. Select Sign in with ID.me to start the self-query process.
- For all other NPDB applications, go to the XMS Login page and select Sign in with ID.me.
- Select Agree and then select Create an ID.me account. It is recommended that you use your NPDB user account email address. If you already have an ID.me account, use your existing account to sign in.
- Follow the prompts to add MFA protection to your ID.me account and then select Allow to consent to sharing your information with HHS XMS.
- Go to the NPDB website for steps to connect your ID.me account with NPDB.
Troubleshoot XMS Error Codes
If you have created an account with XMS through a different MFA service, you will need to update your sign-in method and link your XMS account to ID.me.
If you’ve updated your sign-in method and enabled MFA, but continue to see an HHS XMS error code, contact the NPDB Customer Service Center for help.
Manage your ID.me account
After creating your ID.me account, you can also manage your account settings.
- Change or add email addresses to your account.
- Reset your password.
- If you can’t access your ID.me account email address, need to reset your password, or see an error message, visit I can't sign in to my account.
- Learn more about Getting started with multi-factor authentication.
- If you’re having trouble, visit Troubleshooting multi-factor authentication.