If you recently changed your legal name and haven’t yet verified your identity, you will need to schedule a video call with a Video Chat Agent. To verify, must submit:
- A primary document that shows your new name
- A secondary document that has your previous name on it, and
- A linking document that shows the connection between your new and previous name
This article explains how to submit a name change during a video call.
Verify using your new name
To verify using your new name, you’ll need to submit three documents:
1. Primary document showing your new name
Your primary document must show your new (current) name. Keep in mind, name change documents are not accepted as a primary document.
Note: If you are verifying your identity for unemployment insurance and a primary document does not show your new name, contact your state's workforce agency for next steps.
2. Secondary document
The secondary document you submit may have your previous name on it.
3. Linking document
Your linking document must be an original or certified copy that shows the connection between your new (current) name and name on the Secondary document.
Acceptable linking documents include:
- Marriage Certificate or Domestic Partnership document.
- Dissolution of Marriage document.
- Name change document.
- Adoption document.
If your name has changed more than one time, a separate name change document is required for each time you changed it. Name change documents may not be used as a primary document or as proof of your Social Security Number.