It’s important to ensure the name on your ID.me profile is spelled correctly and reflects your current legal name. If your legal name has recently changed, you can take steps to update your name from your account settings. This article explains how to update your name.
How you request the update will depend on if you’ve already been verified or not.
Keep in mind, you can only request an update to your legal name from a mobile or desktop browser. It’s not possible to update your legal name using the ID.me Wallet app.
Before you’re verified
When you’re verifying for the first time, you’ll go through steps to enter your personal information and upload identification documents. During that process, if your name has recently changed, you’ll need to upload specific documents. You may also need to verify on a live video call and submit additional documents.
After you’re verified
If you’ve already verified your identity, you can request a name change or correction from your ID.me profile settings.
To request an update to your name:
- Sign in to your ID.me account and complete multi-factor authentication, if it’s set up.
- In your account dashboard, select Profile.
- Select Update my name.
- Select Edit an error in my name or Change my legal name.
- Follow the prompts to enter the correct spelling of your name and upload identity documents.
- Legal name change - You will need to upload a primary document with your updated last name and a name change document.
- Name correction - You may not be required to upload a new document.
After you submit your name correction, ID.me Support will review the change and contact you by email in 1-3 days to confirm if it’s been approved or not.
Other account settings
You can make changes to other account settings, including:
- Changing your account email address
- Changing your physical mailing address
- Resetting your ID.me password
- Changing the phone you use for multi-factor authentication (MFA)
- Unsubscribing from ID.me promotional emails